Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Average cost of farm lease for 20acres  (Read 22302 times)

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
Average cost of farm lease for 20acres
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:17:11 am »
We've been having so much trouble trying to find some new land to keep our free to roam tamworths on we decided it might be easier to lease a small farm.  The only thing we have found locally (scarborough area) is a 3 bedroom house (in need of serious updating) with 20 acres of grazing land for £35000 a year.  No to me that sounds a bit steep and would certainly mean increasing our stock levels and introducing maybe a beef herd to make it anywhere near viable.  Does this figure sound right to anybody else or is it just the landlord trying it on? Really wanted to keep things small scale but unless some land becomes available soon these will be the last lot of pigs we can produce which would be a real shame.  :'(
Thanks

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
Re: Average cost of farm lease for 20acres
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:31:03 am »
I would ask a few estate agents but it depends on the size, quality of the houses and grade of the land.  In Lincolnshire my friend's son recently went to look at a small farm with 30 acres and a three bedroom house and it was £2000 per month.  The NFU have advice offices that you could ask at.  Check out average prices in the "Farmer's Guardian" as well so you are fully informed when you speak to the farmer.

I know Lincolnshire is cheaper but take a look at the land to rent in Middle Rasen (North Lincolnshire) it is useful to give you an idea especcially if you look at house rental prices as well add it all up and add on extra to take in to account that you live in a more desirable area and it will give you some idea.

http://www.walters-property.com/rural.html

Good Luck.

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:46:27 am »
I'll have to try all the estate agents again, they are so unhelpful though when it comes to anything like this around here.  We are currently paying £65 per year per acre for our grazing land which I guess is quite cheap. What do other people pay?

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:08:28 pm »
Hi Yorks farmer

Found this on rightmove.co.uk

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-18533884.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=rent&mam_disp=true

It is near Scarborough.  I also spoke to my friend who is a farmer but also works for the agri section of walters and he thought it was a bit too much but it maybe the farmer is considering any damage to the land the pigs could do or not thinking about the current housing situation. 

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:17:38 am »
thanks for that rosie, looks good. Will arrnage to have a look at it this week. Will let you know how we get on

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:46:58 am »
very difficult to answer price per acre issue, we pay £40.00 an acre for grazing and we also take hay off it. it will depend on what part of the country your in, demand for grazing in your area, one problem in our area is a few wealthy horsey people can pay almost any amount which a smallholder cannot compete with.  we rent 4 acres which is now good grazing but when we took it on it was full of docks old grass etc since the sheep have been on it and a few hay cuts its come back really well.   good luck neil

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:07 am »
Hi neil, pretty much the same situation here. We've just seen an acre of pretty boggy land sold off as a pony paddock for, wait for it...............£20K!!!   With landowners been so against allowing pigs free roam on there land due to the amount of damage there create I'm thinking of maybe taking on some tupped ewes instead.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:34:07 pm »
we pay £40.00 an acre for grazing
Gosh that's cheap!  In Aberdeenshire we let our grazing out for cattle at £85 an acre and that was on the cheap side as it was a friend.  That was for teh season though - maybe that's not what was meant??  I wish I could rent some rough woodland or anything at all in Central belt to train my dogs on.  I feel quite impoverished with only a large garden. :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 03:38:49 pm »
Annie, the chap who owns the livery yard has a wood at the back of the yard. It's not used for anything. Do you want me toask him for you?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:23:27 pm »
Ooh, yes please, Rosemary. I can buy or rent.  Would like it to be fenced in some way but I can use long lines if need be instead.
Thanks
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS