Author Topic: Lice  (Read 2557 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Lice
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:15:27 pm »
Reggie, the togg billy - riddled with them  ::)   what do you use to prevent/treat lice? I've identified them as sucker lice rather than biting lice but the goat society site and other sites are not committing to what prepartion is best to use.
am sat here itching.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Lice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »
I think this is one to ask the vet about, even if you used the normal sheep pour-on for lice I wouldn't know what the dose is for goats as opposed to sheep. My goat vet book talks about resting the goathouse for about a month after cleaning to allow any left-over lice to die off, not sure how that would be possible for the usual goatkeeper????

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:42 pm »
SNAP!!!
down to b&q i guess would be the answer for me!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;) :goat:
langdon
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »
?diatom?
Little Blue

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »
It can come in on the hay etc,you would be emptying your goat house forever.Just use a pour on or powder and worm your goats add minerals etc.A healthy goat can usually fight off a louse infestation(And they don't effect humans)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:54:57 am »
makes sense. just taken in new hay supplier (finally found bales!)  the pair of them are actually just due their worming jabs so have just asked vet to draw them up for me to collect. thanks
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS