Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted Heavy Horse  (Read 5181 times)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Wanted Heavy Horse
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »
I'm still on the lookout for a clydesdale or shire horse. Needs to be bomb proof and preferably in Scotland.

Keep your ears open guys!

Thanks
Lee

Hardfeather

Re: Wanted Heavy Horse
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »
There are lots of Shire horses, Shire x Clydesdales, and a Shire x Tb on Dragon Driving at the moment. They are in Wales, but the look the right sort.

My neighbour nearly always has Clydesdales for sale, and I know quite a few others who do too.

What is it for and do you have any particular breed lines in mind?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
Hi
It's for plodding about the farm with, I want something who's bum is bigger than mine. I've got my heart set on a clydesdale or shire.
Not bothered about the age, but must be bomb proof!

Lee

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »
I've a couple of friends with clydes - one has 2 youngsters at the moment and plans to keep one to ride, the other is on loan from the heavy horse trekking place in Cumbria and will be going home when he's old enough for them to back and use. 

It might be worth contacting them to see if they have a ridden Clyde for sale as even if they don't, they'd probably know of others that are available.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

macloui1

I HAVE A Clydesdale mare for sale or loan
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »
I have a 10yr old Clydesdale mare for sale (may consider loan if help with bringing on to ride under saddle).  Excellent breeding - or swap for schoolmaster/showjumping pony for son.  contact me on 07525636007

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:38:52 pm »
whereabouts in Scotland are you?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:18 am »
I am in  Argyll, but can travel

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:02:42 am »
Hi, Just one thing to bare in mind. Shires and Clydes aren't the best for farm work due to their feathered legs and can be a bit of a maintenance nightmare. Have you thought about a Percheron or a Punch? I have a 16:3 Normandy Cob at the moment he's heavy but not too heavy. I can't wait to try him with his new plough next season  :farmer: Let us know how you get on.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 06:00:29 am »
Still too dear for me!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:18 am »
Clydesdales are in demand, and to tend to be quite high priced.  Having said that, the price of this one is reasonable - native ponies such as Dales and Fells sell for more than that.  Our Dales are capable off ploughing, chain harrowing and working round the farm, although obviously much smaller than the Clydesdale, at around 14hh.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »
Doesn't Blacks Farm in Collessie breed and sell them??  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS