Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unprocessed sheeps wool??  (Read 2195 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Unprocessed sheeps wool??
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:02:32 pm »
Hi folks,[/size]We're looking for a source of washed-but-unprocessed sheeps wool in Scotland to use as insulation.  We need enough to cover a total area of roughly 200 m2, to a depth of 250-300mm.  We need this around May/June.We have already approached various organisations, and are now looking for individual suppliers please.Thanks,Lynn[/color]

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Unprocessed sheeps wool??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:05:15 pm »
Why does it need to be washed? Not the sort of thing a sheep farmer would need or have the facilities to do. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:29:44 pm »
Why does it need to be washed? Not the sort of thing a sheep farmer would need or have the facilities to do.

… or even the time and energy...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:30:04 am »
I agree - you would have to scour it yourself.  Really you are only going to get scoured fleece from one of the mills, say around Bradford, and it won't be cheap.  Remember it will need to be somewhat compacted for use as insulation, then treated against vermin, or you will have a roof full of rats.
I think you need to do a bit more research, for example how many fleeces you will need to cover that area to that depth. At a rough estimate, a rolled up fleece, which would give you the depth and degree of light compaction you need, would cover about 30x45cms, so 6 fleeces per sq metre, 1,200 fleeces - that's a big farm and that number of fleeces will already be contracted to be sold to BWMB.  Different sheep breeds have different weight fleeces, and some fleeces would be more use as insulation than others.  I think the only situation where it's cheaper to do it yourself is if you have your own flock of sheep
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:35:38 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 02:00:27 pm »
If you haven’t already, I suggest you talk directly to the BWMB at Galashiels.  They do lots of special jobs and contracts for various organisations, and may be able to do this for you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:50:29 pm »
If you haven’t already, I suggest you talk directly to the BWMB at Galashiels.  They do lots of special jobs and contracts for various organisations, and may be able to do this for you.

they are also very good at losing your woolsack...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »

they are also very good at losing your woolsack...

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear you’ve had problems, Anke.  Having spent a day there a couple of times, and seen how they work, I can see it is much harder for them to manage single sacks than their more normal input of several sheets from a single farm.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:10:56 pm »
Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments.  Just to say that we've had a number of PMs offering scoured fleeces at a reasonable price and we'll get back to each in turn.

Lynn

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:41:35 am »
I wonder if you should read this thread

If you search on 'moths' and scroll down to number 17 Fleece for loft insulation you will find the following written by Bionic

I have a friend who had her home professionally insulated with fleece a few years ago. Her home is now completely infested with moths and they are eating everything including electrical cables. She is at her wits end and apparently there is nothing that can be done apart from removing the walls to get the insulation out. The company who installed it has gone bust so no help there. She is a pensioner and it's going to cost thousands to get it out and she doesn't have that sort of money.
Google it and you will find the National Trust are having similar problems

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS