Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land in Poor Condition  (Read 3621 times)

rggc10

• Joined Apr 2010
Land in Poor Condition
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:56:58 am »
Hi, I am new to smallholding (not started yet), I have the opportunity of renting 4 acres of land south of Edinburgh which is in very poor condition covered in weeds, and brambles and dockens, probably boggy in places with a steep hill bit, river running through it and fencing which would not keep anything in. 
I was thinking it might be possible to put some weaners on it to help clear it up, obviously I would have to fence them but wondered if they could be moved around the land to help clear it, how much would it cost to start up with say 6 weaners, fencing etc any suggestions and ideas would be welcome, also does anyone know what the rental value of land in this condition would be?
Thanks

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Land in Poor Condition
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:50:24 pm »
Cant help you with costs ,you will have to get quotes for fencing the boundaries and electric movable inner fencing for the pigs, an arc, feed etc. I would check first for any poisonous plants in there and cut the brambles back to root level, I dont think even a pig will tackle mass brambles!Then choose a patch you can put the pigs on quite happily and let them do their stuff, you can move area then.Meanwhile you will have time to study the rest of the land and deal with drainage or other problems.It is always worth doing a job right the first time as it will save time and redoing of jobs later. When the pigs have finished a plot have a plan ready as to what to do with it, plant fodder,veg or reseed for perhaps a couple of sheep. The most important thing to remember when renting and improving is to get a good legal agreement written up with a safeguard written in that the owner is not going to take it back when you have done all the hard work.Up here they have whats called ( something like) a betterment payment when the owner pays an amount for your improvement to their land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:14 am »
Pigs will tackle really thick bramble but at a cost, torn ears, cuts etc.  As Hermit suggests its best to cut back the bramble.  Pigs will root out the roots stopping them from reproducing.  We had bramble so high and thick running the length of the pond and beyond, it took the pigs a year to clear it all.  I recommend tamworths for heavy clearing, they did seem to do a better job than the GOS. 

They seem to know what is poisonous and to leave that on the ground, although if you can see anything poisonous then obviously dig it out.  Ours dont go near ragwort.  Thats my job apparently.

The pork will be all the better for the muscle building work the pigs will have done.  Don't expect miracles from weaners, they work harder as they grow  :D :D

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »
Why invest so much of your time and money on crap land that you don't own?  If the land is that bad, offer your pigs as a 'clearing service' to the farmer....Just an idea, not a criticism.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:37:30 pm »

Just paid £5 a metre for fencing, so it doesn't come cheap, that did not include gates or gate posts or corner posts. Before you put weaners on you would need to have a very secure fence especially if you are not going to be on site.
Anne

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:41:21 am »
Be very careful when improving rented land, do make sure you have some sort of written agreement with the owner.

I have just bought 4 GOS from a guy who, a few years ago, started renting some land with a 'handshake' agreement.   He has spent a lot of time, effort and money in improving the land, got planning permission for a new barn to sell eggs from and bought in new livestock.  He's done an amazing job there.

Unfortunately a month ago his 'landlord' said that he's now selling the land by auction next month, so now the guy is having to sell off all his hens and pigs.   Not a great position to be in, and he is so upset.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS