Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinating  (Read 1058 times)

Moopau

• Joined Feb 2019
Vaccinating
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:11:02 pm »
Hi

I’m a newbie at goats. We have 2 Nubian due March. I have vaccinated today with heptAvac p plus. Also they have been worked for fluke.

Is there any other vaccines to be done. I’m getting the vet out for car testing.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Vaccinating
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:09 am »
Not sure if this has just popped up or we've all missed seeing it for 10 days.
It's recommended to use lambivac every 6 months for goats rather than hep p+ that's used for sheep, so you need to read up about that ready for vaccinating the kids.
When were they last wormed and do you know about the increased dose rates for goats.
hope you have a safe kidding, mine are due to start next week.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Vaccinating
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:07 am »

Most flukicides are not to be used in goats producing milk for human consumption, as they have an almost forever withdrawal period. This is not just for goats, same for sheep and cows. Did they actualy have fluke or was it done as a routine?

I would however get a FEC test done at kidding time to make sure they do not need worming, as there is often a rise in worm egg shedding at kidding time due ti a depressed immune system. Goats need watching for worms more carefully than sheep, as even adults do not build up much of a tolerance of worm population in the way that sheep do.

And yes, Lambivac rather than Heptavac. If your vet needs more info re treating goats the Goat Vet Society can be contacted.

And yes, also just have seen this, so no idea what happened with forum over last week or so...

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS