Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie from Ireland  (Read 1683 times)

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
Newbie from Ireland
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:43:59 am »
Hi all, I've been living in rural Ireland in the very beautiful west Cork for nearly two years but know the area really well as my mum was from here. It's been my dream to move over for many years and after much persuasion of my hubby he finally agreed and we're so happy here. We have a lovely house, just over an acre of land and about to purchase a further three acres with the possibility of another three in the future.
We have six dogs (moved over with four), eight cats (moved over with two) and I've always wanted 'outside' animals. In April last year a friend and I were asked to help feed four week old orphan lambs by a neighbour, an amazing experience they thrived. Of course I couldn't allow them to go to market so I bought all four....three rams and a ewe. The rams were neutered at about 10 weeks of age and then I saw two young saanen goats looking for a home on the ISPCA website, applied and they came to live. They are about a week older then the lambs and had already been banded. They're all so friendly, it's great. Later in the year I was asked to take an adult female, Gertie, who has been challenging to say the least but I love her and the I was contacted by the ISPCA to see if I'd take a young goat that had been found cuddled up to his dead mother in a forest so we have him as well.
As a first time lamb and goat owner I look forward to finding out more about how to care for them and to correct anything that I might be doing wrong and maybe making some friends along the way.
I'll keep my posts shorter then this, promise  :fc:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Newbie from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:52:52 am »
Welcome to TAS. :wave:  It's lovely to hear your story. When I first started I found reading old posts in the sheep section was really useful.  Also reading Rosemary and Dan's posts in the diary section.

Hope all goes well with the youngsters. :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:19:01 am »
Welcome AMA. I just love Ireland- for many years we used to holiday in County Clare in a place called Feakle and saw in the millenium in Peppers Bar. As my name will tell you, Cork is my original family home back in 1600 and something? You've made a great choice.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:52:34 pm »
Welcome to TAS. I've wanted to visit Ireland for years. I have a cousin in Galway so maybe this year. As you can probably guess from my forum name, I love goats and kept them for over 15 years until the end of last year. I am disabled and I realised that I was doing less and less for them and having to rely more on other people so, when my old lady died, her shed mate went to live with my friend's goats and that was the end of goatkeeping for me. I still look out of the window expecting to see them.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 09:24:26 am »
Over the pass from Kilmacalogue and Helen's Bar...our favourite place. You are very lucky living there.hope to hear more about you adventure

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 04:09:08 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS :wave:

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:23:27 pm »
Welcome to TAS. I've wanted to visit Ireland for years. I have a cousin in Galway so maybe this year. As you can probably guess from my forum name, I love goats and kept them for over 15 years until the end of last year. I am disabled and I realised that I was doing less and less for them and having to rely more on other people so, when my old lady died, her shed mate went to live with my friend's goats and that was the end of goatkeeping for me. I still look out of the window expecting to see them.

Aww I'm so sorry. I can't imagine being without them now even when they're being naughty. It's great to have someone with so much experience to get advice from though  :wave:

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:24:48 pm »
Over the pass from Kilmacalogue and Helen's Bar...our favourite place. You are very lucky living there.hope to hear more about you adventure

Yes that's it. I love Helen's bar especially in the summer when there's music outside, just perfect  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS