Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed bucket or block?  (Read 1797 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Feed bucket or block?
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:05 am »
What do people find best, buckets or blocks? I emailed my local agri merchant and they recommended a rumevite block, which is same weight but cheaper than the buckets I have been using. I see a lot of farmers using the buckets, and I'm wondering if they last longer and are better, so actually work out better price in long run?

Also, do you just put feed blocks directly onto ground?

Thanks.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Feed bucket or block?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
Blocks are a feed replacer, buckets are a supplement. Block intake is higher so whilst they are cheaper they won’t last as long as buckets and don’t contain as high amounts of minerals vitamins etc as buckets do.

Rumevite do an orange block holder bucket or you can put them on the ground.

I am using Mole Valley super energy buckets (the blue ones). Singles just have the bucket at the mo, twins have a bucket and 350g day ewe nuts (4 weeks off lambing, will go up to 500-600g at 2 weeks before lambing when they come in).

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:14:54 pm »
Blocks contain a high percentage of cereals  and are softer and affected by the weather , ideally you need to put in a container to stop the sheep biting the edges , good for sheep on hill /rough ground

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:57:25 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. I think I will hold off the feed block for now. I have 20 Shetlands and 1 ryeland ewe in a 6 acre field, adlib hay and a high energy bucket at present. They are in good condition and all look well. I'm very cautious of overfeeding, so am thinking I will keep things as they are until I bring them in, and then will start giving a few nuts as well. Does that sound reasonable?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:24:52 pm »
OK just keep condition scoring so you know if holding /slowly or quickly losing condition so you can react

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:42:38 pm »
Given the current weather, I have given them a feed block as well. A rumenvite high energy one. Seems to be going down well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS