Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Total newbie to goats. What prep?  (Read 2503 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Total newbie to goats. What prep?
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:58:47 am »
After a long conversation with SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) we have decided to look at keeping a few goats to raise for meat and possibly in the future, dairy for personal consumption.

Some basic questions here that hopefully the more knowledgeable members can comment on.

1. What minimum size of paddock would i require for two Boer goats?

2. How high would you make the fencing around the paddock?

3. What other books would you recommend? I am looking at Goats for Beginners - Maggi franklin and Raising Meat Goats - Maggie Sayer

4. What minimum size of hut would you have?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Total newbie to goats. What prep?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 01:54:43 pm »
Out of curiosity why are you opting for Boer goats?  A lot of the commercial producers are using dairy crosses for meat and milk and seem to be getting decent carcasses.

Many thanks for the invaluable information SD.

We are choosing Boer goats at first because we read they are good for meat and the countless youtube vids always recommend them. Down the line we are looking into dairy but not at the moment. I would rather get the meat side of things right first and then progress onto dairy from that.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 05:43:17 pm »
Hi [member=174648]alang[/member] . Whereabouts in Moray are you? There are lots of experienced goat keepers in the Grampian Goat Club and you would be welcome to come along to one of our meetings. I'm between Keith and Huntly with dairy goats and there are quite a few GGC members with Boer goats locally.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:44:50 pm »
Whereabouts in Moray are you?

Out by Aberlour area. I know there is a goat farm (Elchies?) out by Archiestown as my wife often visits with my children on their annual open day. We love buying their goat meat.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:54 pm »
The owners of Elchies are members of GGC. If you would like to come and visit my dairy goats you are more than welcome.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:23:17 pm »
Thanks for the kind offer. I shall arrange something with you via pm

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 01:29:40 am »
However, some people successfully keep a couple of house goats in a back garden (it just means a lot more feed and maintenance).

I kept goats for upward of 15 years in my back garden and they all thrived. They did have ad lib hay, branches and weeds and old vegetables from out local greengrocers who saved them for us, together with all the cabbages and carrots we bought them (pony carrots are the cheapest way to do this and we could eat them as well). They also had concentrates during pregnancy and lactation. Fencing was post and rail and around 5 foot high. It kept them in.

They were all great characters and I so miss having them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS