Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant ewes and beep pulp pellets  (Read 1203 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Pregnant ewes and beep pulp pellets
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:50:00 pm »
We feed a wee bit of BPP to our cattle to ease handling. Because it's cheaper to buy it by the tonne, I did that. And I'm not getting throught it fast. I knwo it doesn't go off  but could I use it instead of 18% ewe nuts in the six weeks before lambing?
Advice welcome

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Pregnant ewes and beep pulp pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:36:00 pm »
My sheep won't touch it. I soak it for the goats as part of their daily ration, and they love it. Also if you are in a hard water area it can contribute to urinary calculii in castrated males especially. If you feed it dry they will need quite a bit of water with it. It may be worth a try, but the protein content is quite low.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:20:22 pm »
Not instead of but mixed with  ?  BP  is high in energy and low in protein  circa 10%  , will specify on the bag . it tends to fill them up and some claim it increases the number of prolapses ?   Many hill farms feed it for the above reasons in smallish amounts

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:32:05 pm »
Our sheep - and cattle - like it soaked with grass pellets.  You can add mollichaff too, for extra bulk, if you want.   We do the latter with the cattle but our sheep aren’t greedy so haven’t tried it with them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »
We soak it and feed it for 6 weeks before and four weeks after in varying amounts depending on grass--none this year!! Also hay and back up with 18% ewe nuts. In the last three weeks we tend to split the feed into  am and pm because of volume ( and heavy buckets! ). Seems to work well for us.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:27:10 pm »
Thanks all - I think I'll play safe and stick with BPP for the cattle and 18% nuts for the ewes  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS