Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hedge cutter on MF35  (Read 4915 times)

porterar

• Joined Jan 2019
hedge cutter on MF35
« on: January 23, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »
Hello,

I am new to the forum (and relatively new to smallholding!)

I have a MF35 and I am contemplating buying a hedgecutter as I have a fair number of hedges to keep in trim.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of using a hedge cutter on MF35 and if so any advice as to which model to look at? Also would you suggest weights (either wheel or front) are necessary?

I have been looking at the following models:
https://www.mdlpowerup.com/product/powerup-a80-hedge-cutter/
https://www.siromershop.com/product-page/hedge-trimmer-2-5m-reach

Any advice much appreciated

Thank you!
Andrew

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: hedge cutter on MF35
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:05:55 am »
Does your tractor have a cab?  A lot of debris can get thrown about.

clanger

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 01:28:50 pm »
Sorry, cannot advise on the tractor.  However, do you have any hedges on the road?  The reason I ask is that both the examples that you show work on the wrong side, in as much as they will put you working against the traffic.

Chris

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 01:17:00 pm »
Both look like the same machine ,just different labels ? For the price could you get a local farmer /contractor to cut the hedges every year cheaper over the long term ?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:35:46 pm »
For the price could you get a local farmer /contractor to cut the hedges every year cheaper over the long term ?

I'd agree with this contracting rates with a big tractor and hedge cutter are between £30-40 an hour including fuel. All my hedges cost me around £100 a year for quite a long run of hedges. Those small machines are never going to compete with a big contractors machine and will need maintaining and probably be subject to breakages. personally I'd only consider doing it myself if I had a few hundred acres to warrant the capital outlay.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:03:42 pm »
Don't most contractors use a flail for hedge cutting?  If you want a half decent appearance then you need a finger cutter bar, or discs.  Discs are way too expensive but cut through thicker stems.  We bought our own trimmer with a finger bar three years ago, when laying all our hedges by hand was clearly going to be impossible.  Ours is a Siromer, with a standard linkage and yes it costs (but 2/3rds the price of the one you are looking at), but it will pay for itself quickly.  Don't forget hedges take three to six passes to cover all sides and top.  Ours take a week of good weather to complete, maybe a couple of hours a day - 12-14 hours for a contractor (if there was one round here, or even a 'kind local farmer', but there are few hedges anywhere near us)  Our hedges are not straight forward to work on, with standards along the length, plus friendly and otherwise neighbours to negotiate access with.  All in all, we are really pleased with our finger bar trimmer and the results we get with it.  Worth every penny.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:06:19 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:05:26 am »
We bought our own hedgecutter with interchangeable flail and cutter bar.  After the first year when the cutter bar was used we have only used the flail.  However as we originally only wanted the cutter bar the flail was a freebie as it was standard and the dealer just sent it.

As we do the hedges every year they do not suffer any real damage from the flail and quickly recover.

Thomas Hourican

• Joined May 2020
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 10:16:57 pm »
Hello, l am in the same position as you were last year. ie looking for information on the purchase of a hedgecutter. I'm inclined to go for a finger bar machine because I reakon it would do a neater job . I have viewed alot of machines online. There are quite a few coming in from China at what seem attractive prices but as I haven't seen any of them on the ground or working, I'm quite sceptical. Most of the finger bars seem to be for compact tractors so I don't know how practical they would be on a MF 35 or a MF 290 2WD.Any thoughts or particularly experiences would be much appreciated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS