Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock fencing & wild boar incursion  (Read 2181 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Stock fencing & wild boar incursion
« on: January 19, 2019, 02:05:05 pm »
I have two Large white Welsh cross. I keep them predominately to keep bracken down in a forested area they are also part of the family. We have had them since they were about 3 months old they are now almost 2.
They have about an acre of woodland to live in.
Today I could hear my two Maremma's going ballistic I rush out to find a smallish wild boar chasing them and the two sows actually rather terrified and trying to hide.
It left when I arrived with the shot gun.
One sow seems to have been serviced so we shall see what happens in a few months. Is there any issue with taking a wild boar cross to slaughter ? How do you deal with registration etc ?
Second question most of my fencing is post and rail stock fencing with two strand barb wire. The section the boar got in pushed its way under the stock fencing its a large run but has no barb. This section of the fences has a covenant that it must be kept with stock proof fencing. The covenant is for the Wood Land Trust to maintain the fencing. Do you think I can force them to put barb in place as frankly its not stock proof.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Stock fencing & wild boar incursion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:09:12 pm »
Well it's well worth trying to insist that they do, seeing as it's stock from their land that has broken its way through onto yours and not the other way round.

Can't see why there should be a problem taking "Welsh cross" or "Large White cross" piglets to slaughter, :innocent:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:15:57 pm »
Sadly the boar are not classed as stock.
However as half the fence line has barb I’ll try insisting it’s the same.
Could be a tasty mix.
Howeve the bastard think cut her as well.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:08:32 pm »
I think you would need to do the ethical thing and discuss the breed/cross you wish to get slaughtered with the abattoir.   I know of a pure wild boar which went berserk in the slaughterhouse and gouged the slaughterman's femoral artery with a tusk.  This led to the slaughterman nearly losing his life, and to both the farm and the abattoir closing down!   I don't know how wild a cross would be, but I think the abattoir has the moral right to make its own informed decision.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:22:01 am »
I'm pretty certain that a wild boar x domestic pig is also known as an Iron Age pig and can be kept without a dangerous animal licence (as with wild boar).

I'd probably mention to the slaughterhouse when I booked them in they are Iron Age though and if their lively or feisty, also mention it then.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:31:08 pm »
I don't think extra barbed wire will do the trick at all. My friend kept pigs in the South and had a problem with wild boar. He had fencing above and below ground as they will dig under. They broke fencing for fun.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 06:18:49 pm »
Also if they were running away and trying to hide it doesn't sound like they were in season. However, if they are coming into season he will probably be back. If he can break in then they can break out.

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 10:29:30 pm »
Firstly the offspring will need to have a valid Dangerous Wild Animals licence in place for you to keep them legally so don’t get caught out. I hold a DWA for wild boar myself so I’m aware of the law surrounding cross breeds to.
Long term I would suggest adding electric to the exterior of your stockbfencing as wild boar can make short work of standard stock fencing and can easily jump 4ft fencing if they want.
In terms of slaughtering that depends on your abattoir. We have to on farm slaughter our boar as ours won’t take them alive but you will need to get On Farm Approval from the Food Standards Agency before you can do this.
I hope this helps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS