Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat with pooey bum  (Read 1358 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Goat with pooey bum
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:39:02 am »
My new Billy has suddenly started to scour. He has been with me a week. Change of food?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Goat with pooey bum
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
Has he been eating anything strange lately?
My goat had that only when she managed to open a bin with layers mash and she ate quite a bit. Couple of days of eating only ivy, brambles and dry hay has solved the problem. Someone suggested giving her a spoon of margarine.

I hope he doesn't carry some parasites of disease if you only have him for a week
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:53:14 pm »
Thanks, that's useful

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:58:50 pm »
If he's well, dry hay may help settle it, but if he's unwell in himself I would consider a faecal sample or a vet check as it could be something he has in his system that has flared up with the stress of moving/ change of feed, or have something like coccidiosis which can be fatal if not treated quickly

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:50:03 pm »

With him having moved recently - did you give him a dose of Zolvix and a fluke one as well? The only time I would do this without a FEC is when moving new animals to my holding.

How old is he? If still quite young cocci may be possible as well as he will encounter different strains that he may not be tolerant of yet.

Also - temperature? Appetite? New food?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS