Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grade 2 Listing - Painting Windows/doors  (Read 4101 times)

Soundman32

• Joined Jan 2019
Grade 2 Listing - Painting Windows/doors
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:30 pm »
On my last visit to the planning department, they stated that if I wanted to replace the windows in my grade 2 listed farmhouse, that the current (pre-listing) uPVC windows MUST be replaced with wooden ones.

At the moment, the house is a mixture of brown wood windows, brown wood doors, (faded, in need or replacement) white uPVC windows and 'historic' pastel green wooden front door.

The crazy thing is that non of the windows or doors are original (the house is a mixture of 17th & 19th century), and it was only listed in 2003 after the current uPVC was put in.

Anyway, my question is: is there any guidance on what colours the wood can be painted?  Do we need planning permission for the colours we choose?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Grade 2 Listing - Painting Windows/doors
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:43:58 am »
You need Listed Building Consent to paint windows and doors outside Soundman32- they will approve the colour. Gloss won't be acceptable as it was unstable until the 1960's and then not that good. Red wasn't used because of the cost. It's normal for them to want the uPVC replacing. We replaced two horrible casement windows and had a devil of a job getting them to accept the style of replacement sash and it was us that wanted the sashes. We had to have our windows and door custom made at considerable expense.

On the plus side though, LBC's (were) free and you have exemption from the FENSA regulations for windows and doors.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:32:39 am by chrismahon »

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 11:52:13 am »
.... and you have exemption from the FENSA regulations for windows and doors.
Be very careful with this. 

We have just had endless problems selling our old Grade II listed property which had new hand-carpentered windows installed with full LBC approval - as we did not have a FENSA certificate.  Solicitors do not understand and would not back down, despite demonstrating that compliance was not possible.  So make sure you have a letter from building Control too to confirm the exemption, which is a completely separate approval process from LBC. 

It is a total waste of time as single glazed hand-made timber windows would never meet the Building Regs (or FENSA), so you have to ask for approval from BC, knowing that the windows don't comply with the regs, to then have it confirmed that they are exempt.  It is utterly ridiculous and just wastes your hard-earned money to keep the rubber-stamping idiots happy.   

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »
We ran into problems with the buyer's solicitor as well Maysie. So we took a screen print from the on-line FENSA regulations with the section highlighted and the problem instantly disappeared. Seems solicitors don't know as much as they should.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »
^^^
I did that too, but it was ignored.  After the 4th/5th round of emails with the buyers solicitors, I honestly felt like I was just relentlessly smashing my forehead against a brick wall! 

In the end I called the buyer direct and told them to sort him out or we would put the property back on the market.  It was the only way we could get him to see sense. 
(It still makes me very angry now that they can be so ignorant!). 

I am off for a rest with a mug of chamomile tea in a cool dark room now..... and breeeaath.... 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:28:03 pm by Maysie »

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 02:26:21 pm »
Soundman32
Just one extra point, you should NOT need LBC for repairs to your windows, but you WILL need LBC for replacement windows - hence the requirement for LBC approval for the new windows. 

When the application is made they will assess the new windows on their own design merit in relation to current accepted conservation standards/wisdom, this is without much consideration to what is there at the moment. 

I appreciate you did not ask for that bit of advice though.   :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS