Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hutch sizes  (Read 12116 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Hutch sizes
« on: January 13, 2019, 03:37:25 pm »
I am going to be keeping my rabbits outside so that will rule out cages to keep the rabbits in(i don't like them anyway).

Just wondering if anyone has a guide as to what size is should make the male and female hutches. I was thinking of doing the female on two levels so they have more space to run around.

Any ideas?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: Hutch sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:10:16 pm »
I go by at least 10 sq ft plus at least 30 sq ft excercise space for a few hours or permently if its secure enough. For 1 - 2 rabbits. Depending on the breed, size weifht etc of the rabbit. And the specific needs if there are any.

But dont know if Im being too generous or not??

Does and bucks together may need bigger spaces to start with during intro process.

Does this help at all??

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:22:59 pm »
Any advice is a help. I was going to build the hutches 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft (L x D x H). So 16 sq ft for the females ex runs. They would all have access to personal outside runs during the daytime.

Could i also ask what breeds you have and where you got them from? I am having a mare trying to find meat breeders
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:25:56 pm by alang »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »
My cages are 2x3 ft - Overground cages with wire bottom.
One is 2x4 I think - this one is on the ground and moved on fresh grass daily.
They are all around 2ft high.

You read in the books that for meat rabbits (new Zealand etc.) You need 2x3 ft floor space
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:26:29 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:39:55 pm »

You read in the books that for meat rabbits (new Zealand etc.) You need 2x3 ft floor space

Do you keep the cages in a shed or just under a roofed section (sort of log store design)?

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:43:34 pm »
I dont have meat rabbits, but I did do lops about a year ago. Mainly dwarf lops, mini lops, french lops etc, and a couple of english lops. ;D their ears!!! :roflanim:

I used preloved .and gumtree to get mine but not sure if that would be helpful for meat breeders. ???

Those sorts of size cages were more for the french and english lops, but I had a few dwarf lop lapins and neurted does in together in one as well

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:48 pm »
I saw the English Lop and Angora talked about in this months Country smallholding mag. Good read with some interesting info

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:29:07 pm »

Do you keep the cages in a shed or just under a roofed section (sort of log store design)?
All outdoor with just a roof - all year round. Don't ever listen to people who say rabbits get cold in winter - no problems at all 3xcept for keeping their water from freezing - last year I had to change their water bottle couple of times a day to defrost, but that's it! If you keep them inside the shed on the summer they will probably cook - they are still wearing thick fur remember.
I'm planning on moving the rabbit cage inside the chicken run. That way all rabbit poo will be scratched, aerated and composted but the chickens.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 10:20:09 pm »
Look up the RSPCA suggetions for ideas  . The rabbit ought to be able to sit up on it's back legs and it's ears be a few inches from the hutch roof. Same for it to take a loping step .. ..Which ever measurement is the greatest use it .
 In the day area it should be able to lie at full stretch with is fore & rear legs full  stretched out plus at least six inches more ..same the  width .

Make a division in the hutch so the rabbit can go though to lay down in a bed area to allow it to stay out of draughts .
 As a young lad all my four hutches were at least 2.5 foot wide by 2.5 foot high by five feet long .
The sleeping area was made with a partition pull out board with an 8 inch dia hole in it  placed so there was a three inch lip from the floor  to help keep draughts off the rabbit  & to help keep any kits inside the nest area for the first 28 days

Dad convinced me to put the hutches on 12 inch legs to help dry off any wet wood and stop rats getting in .The top was a three inch slope from back to a lower front hinged  with two pairs of 8 inch T hinges .. made it easy to lean over and scrap the hutches clean . It also meant that I could never leave the hutch door open as it was a top opener only
 In winter when it was cold and windy I had  some old axminster carpetting that ws big enough to hang ove the cage front and hold in plce with three house bricks per hutch

My rabits were kept in a partially enclosed lean-to shed no glass in the window light area and no door which I built to dads drawings .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 09:47:46 am »
My block of cages is 6ft tall 8ft long and 2ft deep and has 6 hutches 4x2ft
I had Californians and New Zealand’s

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 07:57:13 pm »
As i mentioned earlier i am not really keen on cages. Maybe i'm just old fashioned or think that a rabbit should have more privacy and protection from the elements. I am in noway condemning people that do though. Just a choice i have made regarding my rabbits (when i get them).

On a side note though. Where do  people get their meat breeders from? I have tried all over. Sent many emails to 'commercial' website but never hear anything back. I don't want to go to 'pets at home' type places as i know they will not have the traits of meat breeders that i am obviously after.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 08:24:39 pm »
Not sure where you are but Devon Rabbits do new zealands and californias sometimes they cross them.
www.devonrabbits.co.uk
Also www.pets4homes.co.uk normally has its fair share of meat bucks and does

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »
Not sure where you are

Morayshire, North Scotland  :wave:

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 08:47:46 pm »
 ;D :wave:
Ok so guess that wouldnt work for you then

I would keep looking at adverts if theres nowhere near you that sell meat breeders then

Sorry i cant help

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 04:50:34 pm »
I've emailed Devonrabbits to see if they can offer any advice regarding breeders in Scotland. I'm not optimistic but you never know.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS