Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: farm collies council says we cannot have them on our agricultural land  (Read 2607 times)

devonandcornwall

• Joined Jan 2019
Does anyone know how we can keep our sheep dogs on agricultural land, the planning guy says they will likely refuse an application for kennels. The land is just short of 5 acres but we have 172 acres elsewhere. The same planning guy sent us an enforcement notice to remove a small stack of silage bales from the corner of the field, After spending money on solicitors the council withdrew this notice.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: farm collies council says we cannot have them on our agricultural land
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:08:26 pm »
They are pets, can you not keep them in your garage, conservatory or utility room?
 I once kept a horse over the winter in the garage, false wall in side double wooden garage doors.
  I find planning a bit of a games, its like shed snobbery, one mans summer house is another's potting shed with posher windows.
  Honestly I would find a room building or part of your property and repurpose it. It does depend how close your neighbours are.

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:13:08 pm »
....planning guy sent us an enforcement notice to remove a small stack of silage bales from the corner of the field....
That's ridiculous!! :rant:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:32:46 pm »
You haven't said what stock you have.  If you have sheep then surely that would justify keeping shepherd dogs?  Or is it that you are setting up a collie breeding business, in the absence of livestock? That wouldn't be so popular.

I find it very sad when people have problems with the planners.  Where we are, the planners have always been excellent and helpful.  It must spoil your enjoyment of your home.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:00:43 pm »

Do you mean you want kennels at your home ie farm, smallholding? I can't see why that would be a problem. Lots of people have kennels in their garden, backyard.

If you mean away from your dwelling on some land then I can see that might be problematic. I wouldn't want my dogs away from home. Security, health and well being spring to mind.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:06 pm »
I converted half my double garage into kennels when i moved down here as I'd 6 dogs and didn't want them all in the house.  Now I'm down to three it's given over to hens and ducks. Never had any questions asked - never asked planners. None of their business what i do with my gargage  :innocent: :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:34:26 am »
Why would you not keep your dogs where you live? You would not then need planning permission. To apply for planning permission makes it sound like you're wanting boarding kennels (to me as well as the planners!) If they are genuinely your farm animals you don't need planning permission to put up a building to house them in. You have enough land to put in for permitted development to house animals connected with your farm. Sounds like somehow you have badly upset your local planners as there is absolutely no reason why a competent planning officer should even think there's anything enforceable about stacking sileage on agricultural land. Is there more to this that you haven't mentioned? :thinking: :innocent:

Just thought I'd show you how big a stack you can put on your own land and it's perfectly legal. The neighbours upset me with their petty complaints and attempts to cause trouble, all because I bought the land and they didn't  :innocent: . So sometimes you've just got to establish the ground rules[size=78%] [/size] :eyelashes:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:39:35 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:48:08 pm »
[member=192889]devonandcornwall[/member] - apart from the fact that your planning officer's position on all matters sounds quite rediculous, you will, I'm sure, be aware that your other 172ac count when considering need for PP versus notification under permitted development rights on either bit of land.

Frankly, I think what I would do in your circumstance is just build the kennels (whether you presently have live-stock or not on your 5 + 172 acres) and wait to see what happens.
[Edited from here]
Not sure that is the best advice, but it is what I would do    especially if the kennels are immediately adjacent your house and, therefore, reasonably within your domestic "foot-print" on the land -
If the kennels are in your garden, no problem.  If the kennels are close by to your domestic accomm', but clearly on land designated as 'agricultural' then, technically, permitted dev notification could be required. (Don't try and argue that the kennel site is in your garden if it is clearly not a bit of your garden cos PO will then tell you that 'change of use' applies = planning application).

Just do it and see what happens !
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:00:18 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 05:24:27 pm »
This post is so that any interested members will note I've felt need to edit my preceding post !
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:00:53 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS