Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To cab or not to cab  (Read 2008 times)

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
To cab or not to cab
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:19 pm »
Hi all,

My old, dearly loved - if a little under powered, Kubota passed away recently so I’m starting to look at a replacement.  We have about 5ha so I don’t need anything massive. I'm looking at used tractors in the 30-50hp ‘large compact’ tractor bracket... and before anyone suggests not replacing it, I’m a stubborn old goat and my mind is made up so please don’t suggest a getting a contractor in or getting a quad :)

I have a couple of thoughts that I’d appreciate your help with. 

Do I really need a cab?  Or would a big coat and some ear protectors do the same job?  The Kubota had a cab But other than the odd wet weather job or taking hay and water out the animals in winter I’m struggling to justify the additional cost.

Also, am I better going for something around the 30hp mark which is more nimble and lighter on the ground, or do I go something a bit bigger that gives me more scope in the future for running things like a baler etc?  The down side being it’s heavier on the land and maybe not able to reach all the places a smaller tractor could.

I’m based in central Scotland so while I’m not going to see the worst of the weather we get our fair share the cold and the wet stuff. 

All thoughts and views welcome!

Ta,
Cuddles

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: To cab or not to cab
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:17:35 pm »
Get a bigger one. You know you want to. With a cab and a loader.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:13:34 am »
Cab every day of the week for me. Whilst i love being out in the open. The days when it's cold, wet and windy just makes some things a chore. Nothing worse than being all of the above with another few hours of work ahead of you.

I've been looking at the Siromer tractors and like the look of them.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:33:11 am »
Solis have good warranty

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:43 am »
None of us are getting younger Cuddles- whilst I had no problems with cold and wet 5 years ago I have now. Just been working on a piece of metalwork in the garage and have had to come in to get feeling back in my fingers! So I'd say get the cab, even if you can manage without one now there will come a time when you can't and a lot of valuable work time will be lost.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 07:32:18 pm »
I don't have a cab, but I don't have animals so I can generally avoid going out in the worst of weather.  Coldness isn't really a problem though - it's the wet !  The shortest of showers can soon produce a soggy bottom even if your tractor seat is well drained !  The very best water-proof over-trousers definitely recommended when any chance of precipitation.  But then it depends on how long you might need to be out in bad weather and also whether it's a matter of just parking up and scuttling across the yard to a nice warm kitchen afterwards. 

I'm going to throw in a couple of questions: 

What are compact tractor cabs like to live with ?  I would have thought they'd feel a wee bit cramped - particularly height-wise, making getting on and off (or in and out) just a little bit awkward.

While I happily manage without a cab for most of my ops', I often think that a ROP-mounted canopy might be of some benefit (rain or shine).  They are available in the USA, but I haven't found a source in the UK/Europe.  I can sort of imagine some tractor roll-over circumstances (hopefully never) when a ROP-mounted canopy might present an additional safety risk, but anyone aware of a source in UK or Europe please?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:42:00 pm »
A cab every time.  If nothing else it stops birds pooing on your seat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS