Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig with open grazes  (Read 2352 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Pig with open grazes
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »
Hi All,
So my lovely micro pig (Elvis) who is a pet hence the name,  has suddenly got what looks like open grazes, on the rear part of his front legs. I'm sorry its not a great description but i only noticed something was up, when the sunlight sort of glistened on the rear of his front legs (calves for us). When I tried to touch, it obviously caused him discomfort as he tried to lift his legs up individually and almost fell over. There is no blood but some seepage or weepy grazes on both legs.  He wouldn't stand still or be helpful so ive not much more to go on. He's walking and running fine, he isnt limping and has no other injuries. For those who are anti pet pigs, he and his sister live the life of Riley in 4 acres, open grazing, plenty of space to roam and eat,  plus a lot of love from us. They are currently roaming a large penned area, which they've been in before (so i dont think it can be something they've come in to contact with) so ive no idea what can have caused it.
Questions: should I immediately get a vet out or do pigs heal quickly and should i monitor him for a few days? Could this be a symptom of something else i should be aware of?  Ideas of how i can treat or leave well alone?
Really appreciate any thoughts of how best to make sure my boy is ok. Hes been exceptionally healthy till now and his sister is fine so not sure where to go from here?
Thank you for reading x

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Pig with open grazes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:18:55 pm »
It could well be something like an infection or a mite infestation. Possibly more likely as we've had a particularly mild/muddy autumn!
As you say he is sore with it, I'd  suggest a vet visit sooner than later to get him sorted out.
Hope he feels better soon, as he sounds otherwise to be a very happy, well cared for pet pig

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:59:44 pm »
Can you give his legs a clean with Virkon-S or Hebiscrub? That would at least help sort it out if it is a mite/skin irritation. But if in doubt. Seek advice from a vet
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 10:17:43 pm »
Can you give his legs a clean with Virkon-S or Hebiscrub? That would at least help sort it out if it is a mite/skin irritation. But if in doubt. Seek advice from a vet

I would also use a bit of camrosa cream on the grazes

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 12:52:49 am »
Is it possible that his front legs have rubbed against his chest, when they are muddy or sandy?  Have a peep at his chest to see if there are corresponding grazes there.  I'm all for washing then Sudocrem if it's just a mechanical injury.  Reverse him into a corner and have help to hold him if he's trying to run off.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:20:12 am »

[/quote

I read yesterday that Hibiscrub ( and I can't imagine Virkon - S being much different)  shouldn't be used to clean wounds as it can do more damage to the exposed skin and to use tap water or saline solution.

Personally I would clean off with the hose pipe if possible. Surface irritation I would dress with sudacreme. If they are deep and infected I would get the vet. It wont do any harm to treat for mites or lice.

He could be weeing onto his front legs. Is he a castrate?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:14:30 am »
In reply to the question - "should I get a vet?",  my take on it is - "would you go to the doctor with a similar wound?"
In this case, as it appears to be just grazes, not infected, then I would treat it as I would myself and keep it clean and keep an eye on it.
I agree with Harmony that strong antiseptics/disinfectants can delay healing. One of the best healing aids I have found is aloe vera spray, which you can apply without actually touching the wound. Any spray is easier to put on where the animal is loathe to let you touch the wound, so causes less stress.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 02:09:32 pm »
I read yesterday that Hibiscrub ( and I can't imagine Virkon - S being much different)  shouldn't be used to clean wounds as it can do more damage to the exposed skin and to use tap water or saline solution.

I am only passing on what our vet says we should treat our gilts/sows/boars with. We've just had the dreaded ringworm here and we've had to spray and if possible brush the pigs infected daily with either of the solutions mentioned. It took three days but they cleared up.

For cleaning wounds we use hibiscrub followed by aluminium silver spray. They are then given anti-inflammatory/pain relief (normally betemox/loxicom/lincoject etc)
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 06:02:13 pm »

I am only passing on what our vet says we should treat our gilts/sows/boars with. We've just had the dreaded ringworm here and we've had to spray and if possible brush the pigs infected daily with either of the solutions mentioned. It took three days but they cleared up.

For cleaning wounds we use hibiscrub followed by aluminium silver spray. They are then given anti-inflammatory/pain relief (normally betemox/loxicom/lincoject etc)

It was a vets article I read! Loll!

I also agree with landroverroy. Many equine and dog veterinary sprays can be very useful in your medicine kit.

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 05:59:23 pm »
Thank you all. When I managed to feed him enough that he'd stand still long enough....his legs look better today. Definitely something there but not an open wound from what i could tell. He also let me tough his legs so am assuming has feeling better
 Am off to buy some aloe Vera spray tomorrow just in cases and then will monitor. It turns out that he's managed to break through the back wall of the shed to attack the chicken food that was left there....so that also might be a reason!!! Vandalizing wood is bound to hurt somewhere. Thank you all for the comments, Elvis and I both appreciate it! X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS