Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our Pigs are Biting!  (Read 4659 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Our Pigs are Biting!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 02:03:34 pm »
I will be keeping them in a 20m x10m pen  in a field about  20 metres from our back yard.
 Someone was telling me today that these pigs will smell and advised against  getting them
Will it be that bad or can someone reassure me that the smell from 2 pigs,  if any,will be tolerable ?

20 metres x 10 metres isn't a very big area, they will turn it over very fast and they will designate a corner as their toilet, which will attract flies and does smell a bit if your not used to it.

I'd invest in a very good pig keeping book

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Our Pigs are Biting!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 02:37:35 pm »
[member=177066]Jim Bob[/member] you might be better posting as a new topic:  all animals smell, especially human ones. It is a smallish area and it is close to your house. But of course for many years pigs were routinely kept in back yards. Personally I think a couple of weaners for 4 or 5 months will be tolerable especially if you pick up some of the poo and get it  removed. Also, if you are resting the ground afterwards rather than having pigs on constantly that will help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS