Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep in Poland  (Read 1260 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Sheep in Poland
« on: December 30, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »
I was recently reading quite a lot of articles about sheep farming in Poland.
It's really really bad to be honest! In 1980s there used to around 5 million sheep over there, nowadays there are only 200k!
In the mountains there are wolves, bears and lynx waiting to eat them every day, so the shepherds are guarding them all day with their big dogs and lock then up at night. All of their sheep are milked - and only give around 200ml of milk a day - rubbish! All their milk is made into fantastic smoked cheeses though.
Anyway, those sheep are on pasture only for 5 months a year! Even in lowland areas with no wolves they are locked up in the shed for 7 months a year!!!! Some people keep merinos indoor the whole year round because the wool could get wet and matted  :tired:
I am Polish so I am allowed to say that - I believe they are stupid! They treat sheep as if they are made of sugar, spend so much money feeding and housing and the worst bit is that virtually no one east lamb or mutton in Poland! All of their meat is exported to Italy or Germany (light lambs 20kg live weight!) Then they complain that without subsidies they can't afford it - said a guy who keeps 50 pure breed SUFFOLK ewes and SEVEN rams!
It's bizzare!
I saw a beautiful farm in the mountains, 15 mins from the border with ukraine - maybe I should buy it and teach them how to farm sheep properly!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Sheep in Poland
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:38:19 am »
I've just read an article in the Yorkshire post about a chap that's gone out to Germany to farm sheep and said much the same. Apparently they can graze free in mountain areas and on dairy farms but still no money in it. His were merino crosses and had the most beautiful long sleek wool that just looked like it had been combed and straightened.
It looks like the problem is, as you said that lamb/ mutton is not popular, and there is no organised marketing. That would seem to be the main problem. It's no good producing an amazing product if no one is buying it.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Sheep in Poland
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:26:29 pm »
They can't graze for free in Poland sadly... All mountain meadows are owned by someone but most are not used for anything whatsoever! Shepherds have to pay them some money for grazing in summer. Some are rented from the national park authority itself.
They have a big problem with wolves nowadays - they keep eating sheep and even fully grown cows!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS