Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training goats for collar & harness  (Read 3915 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Training goats for collar & harness
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:30:04 pm »
following on from an interesting thread on the Saddlechariot for ponies... here is a thread to post any questions/tips/experience & wisdom on how to (or how not to!) train a goat for wearing a collar, halter, harness or similar.

To start us off... our Margo came to us already used to a stanchion, we had a soft colloar and lead for her, and she loved a roam around, and to visit the pigs!
Geraldine is very nervous of a collar, despite having tried for 18 months plus to get her used to it.
Her son Max has a harness, I really want to get him properly trained to be lead and to pull a "wagon" and would appreciate some pointers, especially based on how much I should expect from him - he is 11 weeks old.

:goat:
Little Blue

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Training goats for collar & harness
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »
We tend not to start them pulling until they are about 16mnths but I personally can't see why they cant get used to pulling a travois which is easy to make and doesn't weigh much.
    I'm always asked why I could get my goats to work so well.Secret was I went into the shed the orning of the meet and thought "Which one of you lot shall I take with me today" then I'd pick one of the top familys and take it with me.
     If you've ever warched someone working a pygmy most of them just put their heads down and charge off away from their owners and a guide from the halter sent them in the right direction!The worst to work are bottle fed Anglo Nubians!They just can't leave their handlers or drop to their knees ;D  You can't drive a goat that just wants to be led
   Whatever you do rule Number one is NEVER use blinkers...goats (like mules are too intelligent,they like to see the danger or they freak out!)
What type of collor are you using?

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:16:22 am »
 :goat:have you tried the harnes goat society web site.

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:09:31 pm »
wow thats brilliant i never even heard of it before im impressed :goat: ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:00:52 pm »
I would say, the best thing to do is start NOW with him. If you get the basics trained into him now- ie walking on a collar and lead, stopping to command, and teaching him to lean to left and right, it will make it much easier. We sold 2 nubians to someone training to harness, he made a great start, but sadly his health failed and he was unable to keep up the training. The Goats Uk forum/yahoo thingy- Margaret Shackles on there has two Boer cross British Toggenburg castrates who go in harness together and pull a cart.

Beth

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:53:12 pm »
Jinglejoys- you've just burst my bubble. I have two Anglo Nubian wethers that were bottle fed and it was my intention to try to train them to pull- but your dead right. I cant walk down the field without them either walking across me or tripping me up from the back. They are only 4 months old. They walk on the lead okay with a little encouragement- is there any hope?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »
so, command-wise, do you say "left" and "right" or use some other word? 
and "woah" like a horse?!

one of the problems is Gera's reluctance... she cries when Max is out of the pen on the lead, but panics if I try and put a collar on her so she can follow her.  He is happy to explore, but gets distracted by his mum.

I have a nylon dog harness, which is great now, but as he grows will be the wrong shape.  do I go for a pony harness?
the collars are also soft nylon dog ones

does anyone use a halter?  where from?
Little Blue

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »
You could probably get harness from the HGS
   I drive with a bit(find it stops the goat fighting the noseband and keeps it more relaxed).Most people use a headcollor type without a bit.Any command for left or right etc works,goats are smart.
Declan,there is hope if you train your boys to be independant,a leader needs to lead.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS