Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can dog poo give sheep infections???  (Read 5554 times)

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
can dog poo give sheep infections???
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:29:37 pm »
theres a farmer who lives near me and were not allowed to take the dogs on his land which in the spring he is putting some lambs on he says the dog poo gives them infections anyone heard of this???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: can dog poo give sheep infections???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:54:47 pm »
I think dog tapeworms can give them Gid, or maybe they have to get the worms from eating sheep carcases then their faeces can give more sheep Gid. 
It is usual and I think the law, that if your dog defecates in public, which includes the countryside, you bag and remove it - the faeces not the dog  :) 
Gid is one of these wonderful shepherds words which (again I think) is a specific worm developing in the sheeps brain.  I'm sure someone else more awake than me will know the details.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:17 am »
I've come across this problem with tapeworms as a couple of my neighbours' sheep have had it - tapeworms in dog poo can definitely be a problem to sheep.  Here in Wales we call it Bendro (not sure of the spelling as its a Welsh word!).  Make sure, if you have a dog, you worm it regularly if you take it with you in the sheep's field(s).

waterhouse

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »
Toxocarosis is the pretty ghastly result of nematode eggs from dog or cat poo being consumed usually by children.  Its why children's playgrounds don't welcome dogs cos it can lead to blindness.

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:50:56 pm »
thanks everyone but waterhouse ??? look kids do stupid thingz but etin dog poo aint one of them??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05:01 am »
But they do stand in it - don't we all?? - then perhaps take off their shoes and get it on their fingers, fingers go in mouth - yuch, but by then it's too late.  Clearing up behind your dogs is a drag, but it really is our responsibilty to do so.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:49:08 pm »
good point well made ;)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »

i keep sheep, I have dogs....my dogs are wormed.
I will not tolerate anyone letting my dogs defecate in my sheep paddocks and take a very dim view of anyone elses dogs doing so! I would not let my dog  poo in your garden so why should your dog poo in my field?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Isabella

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:49 am »
I think dog tapeworms can give them Gid, or maybe they have to get the worms from eating sheep carcases then their faeces can give more sheep Gid. 
It is usual and I think the law, that if your dog defecates in public, which includes the countryside, you bag and remove it - the faeces not the dog  :) 
Gid is one of these wonderful shepherds words which (again I think) is a specific worm developing in the sheeps brain.  I'm sure someone else more awake than me will know the details.

Wow, I remember the old word Gid. Don't the sheep walk around in circles ?? I think it IS the tapeworm in the brain....I forget all I learned all those years ago....but Gid was a word that stuck in my mind. I learned at the knee of a very old shepherd, who actually used to sleep out among his sheep at lambing time in one of those shepherds huts on iron wheels. He was very old fashioned, and I was taught so much 'stuff' from him, things no agricultural college could ever tell me.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »
Makes you wonder how we all survived!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS