Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moulting or sick chicken?  (Read 2448 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Moulting or sick chicken?
« on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »
Hi!  One of my warrens has started losing feathers, lots of feathers.  I've kept watch and she does not seem to be being picked on, or pecking them out herself.  There are no signs of injury (peck marks and the like).  I've seen her sitting a bit hunched up on occasions at intervals during the last couple of days, but she was still very hard to catch, so still lively.  Having inspected her, there is no sign of any infestation but she does appear to be a bit on the thin side.  There is no sign of her having diarrhea as her vent is clean and she is eating along with the others.  Has anyone any idea what might be amiss here?  Many thanks!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Moulting or sick chicken?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:26:00 pm »
could just be a moult.
do they eat alot of maize/corn/oats? these will keep there body temp high
if she is hunched, be aware of coccidiosis ... ours showed no diarrhoea or anything, til they started dying (ok, some were quail chicks - you cant get much smaller!)  but after medication we have had no further probs
Little Blue

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:30:08 pm »
poultrey spice boild eggs treat all will be well

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:52:55 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!   Just wondered if there is anything I can do to protect her from the winter as her feathers are so sparse.  How quickly will they grow back? I'm concerned that winter is approaching and she'll suffer from the cold. I've never had a partially bald chicken until now, if she doesn't get anymore foliage between now and the cold weather setting in is there anything I must do to ensure she doesn't freeze to death - or are chickens reasonable immune to such things?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 03:23:51 pm »
?knit her a little jacket?
there was a thing on the news a while back about people doing this for their ex-battery hens who were rather sparsely foliaged!
Little Blue

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »
Heavens!  I though you were joking at first!  Well, I can knit, so why not? I go and see if I can find some wool!! Many thanks!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »
Heres the website with the pattern
http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/jumpers.aspxn

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:40:20 am »
Thanks for that Manian, looks easy enough!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS