Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed popularity  (Read 5797 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
Breed popularity
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:36:52 pm »
 Hi,

We do not have cows, yet, but hopefully one day.

We were at the rare breeds sale in York yesterday, watching the sale of the cows. Just wanted to ask, why are the Highland cattle not as popular as the rest ?
 There were Belted Galloways, Shorthorns and Dexters, these were all selling at good prices, but hardly any of the Highlands sold, the ones that did went for not too much money at all.

Is it just due to personal choice, or are they just not as popular or easy to keep as other breeds ?

Personally they are my favourites, but maybe thats just because we share the same hairstyle...

Debbie

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Breed popularity
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »
Consider Shetland cattle when the time comes.

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »
No idea - And don't want to offend any Highland breeders potentially reading...!  Maybe a glut of them there through recent popularity?  Dexters seem to be the fad breed at the moment - Maybe they'll find themselves in a similar situation in a few years...?  Just my views!!!

My choice would have to be Devons, the Ruby Reds - Beautiful docile cattle (and often polled!)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:21 pm »
I think most Highlands are sold at the Society sales. They are popular because the can live on rough ground and stay out all winter. Some go for big money depending on pedigree. Maybe they just had an off day at the sales. I love my highlands - I only have 5. I paid various prices for them and plan to breed from them next year. At the sales prices do vary depending on who wants what on the day.
PS the beef is fantastic
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:59:14 am »
Depends what you want them for. The Shetland is small - about 48" at the shoulder - horned, but small horns and is dual purpose. Although small, and therefore thrifty herself, she has a wide pelvis and can be safely mated to a continental beef bull. This has been part of the problem with the breed - breeders have been crossing for big calves at the expense of breding pure.

We plan to  milk ours for the house as well as letting them rear a calf.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:18:03 pm »
with modern farming, farms have to convert their barns to accommodate highlands due to their long horns.
 highlands are slow growing breeds and when talking to other farmers you can never tell whats under all that coat.

other breed of cattle are more easily to accommodate for the winter,farmers don't have to convert their barns (feeding yokes).

large estates take on highlands to graze areas of land over winter and summer where you can't take an tractor.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 02:22:05 pm »
Most breeds of cattle have horns, only they are commonly dehorned as youngsters, largely for saftey reasons. This generally doesn't get done with Highlands and Longhorns - I guess that they would both be penalised in the show ring if they were shown dehorned.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:17:13 pm »
I like coloured Welsh but you never hear of them :)

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:55 pm »
Coloured welsh cattle are extremely popular around my neck of the woods, actually went to see some today with a neighbour, incredible animals  :)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:39:09 pm »
Ooh great (can you get Pics?) ;D

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:07:07 pm »
You can't house highlands unless you have individual pens or a massive yard. They have a VERY strict pecking order and you would just end up with the boss one. The rest would be impaled. But having said that, they are quite happy to live outside. They do actually fatten as fast as anything else if fed the same; but because they're kept outside they usually only get forage, no concentrates.
 I think many people don't buy them because they're wary of the long horns. But in fact they are one of the most docile breeds of cattle. The main danger with them is the risk of being accidentally trampled on if you are close to a lower pecking order animal who is trying to avoid being horned by a superior one.
 As previously mentioned - the meat really is prime! 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 11:12:51 am »

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »
Oh Thanks Nina

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »
Anyone looked at the Northern Dairy Shorthorn?? Very hardy, duel purpose cattle!! and taste is superior!! Easy calvers, calves up and bounding around within minutes!! Just a thought,
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 05:09:07 pm »
The coloured Welsh look a bit like White Park and a Belted Galloway - the red and white belted one is stunning.

Shetland cattle used to be all colours but the islanders were offered a subsidy on black and white ones ( ???) so naturally everyone bred for b&w colouring. When the subsidy stopped, someone thought it woudl be good to get the old colours back, so breeders are actively breeding for them. Unfortunately, this lead to overuse of two red and white bulls, causing a bit of a genetic bottleneck.

Ours are dun and white. Their sire is dun and white but their dams are black and white. We will be seeking advice on what bull to use, when the time comes. The photos are of Blizzard and her sire and dam.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS