Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CHICKENS NOT LAYING??  (Read 3863 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Re: CHICKENS NOT LAYING??
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 04:17:43 pm »
I don't think anything is taking them. I have been home today have seen nothing take them, also i left the 3 eggs laid yesterday and they are still there plus one more. I am pretty sure that it isn't EDS either because as mentioned before it's unlikely they would all stop at once and the eggs they have laid are in perfect condition. If it was rest how long will they not lay many eggs for?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 04:42:36 pm »
Ok yep
You most likely wont get full production until spring if its that. Most chickens don't lay to their full potential during winter anyway.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 09:39:03 pm »
We had something similar this year. We have had a flock of mixed-age chickens for 9 years. Although egg production always slows down a bit in the winter, this was the first year that it stopped completely for two or three days.  No idea why.

I put some red mite tonic in their drinking water and they started laying a couple of days later. Also, found an "alternative" nest at the base of a bramble. So one or two of them had been laying. They were just hiding their eggs for some reason. ::)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:00 pm »
what is this red mite tonic?
i got 5 out of 19 today increasing...
hopefully they should be back in lay soon

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 07:16:01 pm »
And talking about mites the last time i cleared them out i had run out of spray so just went by with DE were i would normally use both, they could be upset by this..??

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:33 pm »
And talking about mites the last time i cleared them out i had run out of spray so just went by with DE were i would normally use both, they could be upset by this..??

Doubt it very much.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »
what is this red mite tonic?
i got 5 out of 19 today increasing...
hopefully they should be back in lay soon

Is it red stop solution or something??
cool

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 01:19:45 pm »
It is a liquid tonic that you can get from an agricultural store. I use Mole Valley Farmers. It is meant for chickens that have been attacked by red mite and are a bit anaemic and off-colour. It contains iron and vitamins. Although there shouldn't be any red mite around at this time of year I thought I would put some in their water on the off-chance. Seems to have done the trick!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS