NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Anglo-Nubian or Boer Buck  (Read 473 times)

SAtkins

• Joined Dec 2017
Anglo-Nubian or Boer Buck
« on: December 09, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
Hi everyone! I just wanted to throw a question at you all- I've been breeding meat goats for a few years and take all my kids through to slaughter apart from a few nannies or billies bought for breeding. I've got Boer, Boer x dairy and dairy breeds of nannies which I always breed to a Boer buck. The problem is I'm not overly keen on the Boer/Boer x's because I feel that they don't feed the kids that well and the kids don't grow that fast. They get fat but they don't have the carcass size I would like. The Boer out of the straight dairies do better.  Maybe it's that I'm bored with the Boer and have always preferred the looks and personalities of dairy breeds! I was thinking about putting an Anglo Nubian buck on my nannies; I know they won't be as meaty but I thought they might be faster growing, larger carcass kids. Has anyone else bred Nubians for meat? Any suggestions? What do you  guys think?
Thanks for reading, Soph. Xx
Voss Electric Fence

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Anglo-Nubian or Boer Buck
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:44 pm »
I have bred and kept Boers for 9 years - there is some really good Boer genetics out there so have you considered just buying a different Boer bloodline? 

SAtkins

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:04:02 pm »
That's true! I've had the same billy for a few years, he's a fantastic looking goat, but maybe your right; perhaps he doesn't have very fast growing genetics. I've kept no end of his daughters this year so would have needed another unrelated male for next breeding season anyway! Thanks for your help  :hug:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »
I put a AN male to my Boers last year and got some lovely kids that grew quicker than previous years boers but a slightly leaner shape. I have ANs and Boers as well as a number mixing the two, but only have been doing a couple of years so don't have much advice to pass on at this stage
________
Caroline

SAtkins

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:29:30 pm »
Hiya!
Yeah, I've done it the other way around( Boer buck on AN does), and they are some lovely goats :) I've just kidded some pure Boers that were bought in kid and they've been fantastic so I think it probably is that my buck throws nice looking but slow growing young :-\ What colour do your AN crosses come out?

anglo nubian

Started by lee.arron

Replies: 2
Views: 1117
Last post January 25, 2012, 08:05:34 am
by Rich/Jan
Anglo nubian (mainly!) kids

Started by egglady

Replies: 5
Views: 2014
Last post March 05, 2011, 09:01:01 am
by ballingall
Anglo Nubian boobies...

Started by colliewoman

Replies: 14
Views: 4596
Last post February 24, 2012, 09:13:19 pm
by princesspiggy
Pic of Anglo Nubian kids

Started by Roxy

Replies: 3
Views: 1019
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:27:22 pm
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley
Anglo Nubian goats

Started by maddy

Replies: 8
Views: 2502
Last post August 12, 2015, 12:21:04 pm
by maddy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS