Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hard decision  (Read 1868 times)

Luckyescape

• Joined Jun 2016
Hard decision
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:12:59 pm »
Hi all

I'm having a hard time deciding on the right thing to do.  I currently have a ryeland ewe 2 year old but I find it so hard to take good care of her due to her size and me being a weed! 
She needs a bigger flock really but as she is one of two sheep that I own if don't think I can leave my weather on his own   :'(

I'm moving 4 hours away soon so have to make a decision whether to swap reyland for easier smaller breed or to just re-home them both to a pet home.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:24:44 pm by Luckyescape »

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Hard decision
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:53:35 am »
No, definitely don't leave the wether on his own. I think I'd rehome them together as they are probably quite bonded.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:22:50 pm »
I'm thinking it isn't just the sheer size of the Ryeland ewe :sheep: that is outfacing you - after all they are not the biggest of sheep - but because she is fat and spoiled and what I would call  "ignorant"!? :rant:
I've got 2 like that in my back field that will be going to market shortly. They push past me at every opportunity, try to intimidate the dog, and just refuse to stand quietly in a pen made of mere sheep hurdles without attempting to demolish it. They are tame to the extent that they will flatten anything else (including me!) in their rush to get to any food I might be carrying, and with the prospect of a treat are quite happy to be stroked :eyelashes: But everything has to be on their terms or chaos will result. I have to worm them by adding wormer to their feed or water. Fortunately they have good feet or I would have to call in a cast of thousands to restrain them.  So I am presuming your Ryeland is something similar? 

The solution is not simply to get smaller sheep - Shetlands, Badger faced, Soays etc can be arseholes as well once they know they can get away with it. (But Shetlands are one of my favourites and I've had some lovely ones.) You need to ensure that any future sheep are tame and well handled. I have some ewes much bigger than Ryelands that are a pleasure to have. They come up to me in the field for a chat and a stroke, and if I need to worm them they will stand quietly in a pen and let me do it. I can tie them up to a fence and lift their feet one at a time, without having to fight to turn them.
So if you are planning on getting one to keep your wether company, or another 2 altogether, get something tame and pleasant, which will be a pleasure to keep.  :sunshine: ]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 11:26:23 am »
You say you are moving 4 hours away implying you would be 4 hours from your sheep … if this is correct then how would you intend caring for them?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:22:09 am »
I might be wrong, but I read it that the OP was thinking of re-homing the sheep before they moved house by 4 hours, to save the hassle.  I then presumed they would start up again with a different breed in their new location?

Luckyescape

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:55:21 am »
Oh you know!!  :roflanim:
She's a lovely girl but a monster of a sheep!  She does love her food and makes out she always needs more and  oh she'll give the dogs a head butt if they disturb her  :roflanim:.
The fleece is just everywhere and makes for a lot of work to keep catching her to trim her face and she's a sensitive sole when it comes to her feet so thinks her leg will fall of when I small bit of mud get in between her hoof. 
She gives the shearer a work out twice a year tho so helps me out then.

I think I will just stick it out with her and just go to the gym to get stronger myself!  My wether doesn't really care if she's there of not as he's an independent little men and loves human company big time but he'll put up with her as a field companion while I'm not there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS