Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WARTS ON NOSE  (Read 1619 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
WARTS ON NOSE
« on: December 02, 2018, 02:28:45 pm »
Hello fellow goat keepers, my  nannies have just returned home after being on a visit to  a billy goat  for a month, I have noticed  one more so than the other 3 has a cluster of dry wart like  growths on the nose,  any ideas on what this can be? and how to treat?   :goat: :

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: WARTS ON NOSE
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:13:45 pm »

Orf quite likely if they have been on anther holding. Unless it is really bothering them, I wild just let it run it's course. It is viral, and they do get some immunity to it for the future. Just don't touch it, as it is transferable to humans and very painful (I have been told, never had it, but most of my adult goats have had it in the past). It will hang around your goathouse, and other goats may well pick it up. Virus similar to Herpes one in humans.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
Thanks,for the reply, did a search on google seems like your right, its something I never bargained for

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:29:20 am »
if its only one goat, either keep her separate, or feed her separately. They can transfer the Orf to each other when in close contact, so if they all eat from the same hay feeder, or concentrate it might spread. I'd be pretty annoyed with the person who owns the billy for not explaining what it was and not being very apologetic about it.. Its either been transferred from one of their goats, or its something that he sees a lot of

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 05:30:31 pm »
if its only one goat, either keep her separate, or feed her separately. They can transfer the Orf to each other when in close contact, so if they all eat from the same hay feeder, or concentrate it might spread. I'd be pretty annoyed with the person who owns the billy for not explaining what it was and not being very apologetic about it.. Its either been transferred from one of their goats, or its something that he sees a lot of

I is transferred through woodwork - fencing, pens etc, if you take you animals to a show, to the vets even… it is not a dangerous infection, and once they had it, they have a good degree of immunity to it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS