Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Life span of mineral buckets?  (Read 1393 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Life span of mineral buckets?
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:31:10 am »
I just wondered how long mineral buckets lasted  terms of their usefulness. Mine last ages, but I've only got 4 sheep, who I must admit get fed up with them pretty quickly!  But in terms of the mineral content, how long are they useful? Thankyou
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Life span of mineral buckets?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:59:21 am »
Will be a best before date on the bucket somewhere , if open and subject to the weather then this may be the limit or if unopened or covered then should be ok for a bit longer

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:19:02 am »
Will be a best before date on the bucket somewhere , if open and subject to the weather then this may be the limit or if unopened or covered then should be ok for a bit longer

Minerals do not go off or disappear with time. It is a simple chemical fact! For example - have you ever known salt to go off in a salt cellar? Complex chemicals will denature in time like antibiotics or proteins, but minerals such as potassium, selenium, calcium, magnesium and all the rest, are the basic element itself and cannot denature any further and therefore are stable.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I'll have a look on the buckets to see what the best before date is.
4 pet sheep

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:57:04 pm »
Minerals do not go off or disappear with time. It is a simple chemical fact! For example - have you ever known salt to go off in a salt cellar? Complex chemicals will denature in time like antibiotics or proteins, but minerals such as potassium, selenium, calcium, magnesium and all the rest, are the basic element itself and cannot denature any further and therefore are stable.

But mineral buckets are not made of pure minerals - the majority of it is molasses, which will spoil over time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:15:16 pm »
Plus don’t they have added vitamins?  I think you can probably expect the vitamins to degrade after a while - maybe six months ish?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:30:02 pm »
My sheep nuts say  the vitamin levels will be retained for 3.5 months ?

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 07:32:49 am »
good point Sally.  the best before relates to the vitamins.  whilst minerals don't degrade vitamins do.  after the BB date the vitamin content will be less than stated on the bucket.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS