Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newly Farrowed Sow Near Herefordshire?  (Read 2043 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Newly Farrowed Sow Near Herefordshire?
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:07:54 am »
Awful weather here - gilt farrowed overnight and won't settle for them to suckle, despite a bottle of Guinness.  Would like to give them away (pedigree GOS) and start again rather than raise by hand.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Newly Farrowed Sow Near Herefordshire?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 11:22:38 am »
Maybe give her a few more bottles of guinness till she's totally chilled out and legless?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:26:21 pm »
Maybe give her a few more bottles of guinness till she's totally chilled out and legless?
:innocent:  not a bad idea  or get vet to give a mild sedative, is she indoors or in an ark ? does she respond to your company ?

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:40:17 pm »
Our sows and gilts get metacam oral when they farrow. They could be unsettled because the pain of giving birth (especially a gilt)
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 01:59:15 pm »
This Mama just won't settle - it happened once before to another gilt many years ago.  If two bottles of Hobgoblin doesn't work nothing will!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 10:47:14 am »
Noted that afterbirth was considerably smaller than usual and placenta probably not up to the job, which would have triggered stress in the piglets and led to slightly premature birth, also mucking up the normal hormonal progression during birth.  Ho, hum.  At least the boar will be happy.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 12:22:23 pm »
Another thing to consider is that she just might not be a good mother. We get it occasionally. Maternal instinct just isn't as strong as it is with some other gilts/sows. She might be better after this parity but it is something to throw into the mix as it were
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS