Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best gadget under £50  (Read 3259 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Best gadget under £50
« on: November 29, 2018, 08:17:10 am »
Prompted by womble's tread on head torches  I am going to ask for suggestions for excellent gadgets for under £50  (the more UNDER .. the better!!) .    Ideas for Christmas needed!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Best gadget under £50
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:41 am »
Treadle feeder from The Incubator Shop
 Easy to top up, only have to do it once a week, completely vermin proof and well made. Saving a fortune on feed

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:18:40 am by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:52:14 am »
Good move MGOM!

For anybody not arthritic, these old fashioned apple peeler / corer / slicers are a lot of fun, and also practical:

If you've not come aross one of these before, it peels your apple, removes the core and then slices it into a continuous spiral  :thumbsup: [size=78%]. [/size]
[/size]
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:43:04 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:38:26 pm »
I have one of those corer/peeler thingies... brilliant on apples, useless on pears if ripe and pointless if not. The real trick is positioning it correctly on the worktop edge so all the peel falls into the bucket below.
Best recent gadget.. a good old traditional type of percolator https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgento-E011-MO-Stainless-Percolator/dp/B0037KQDWO
Ground coffee seems cheapest at Lidl.. way cheaper than Tesco.I've been playing with it for a month now.My favourite coffee solution is 50:50 Kenyan/columbian DIY blend - Tastes even better after a slice of bacon.Out of laziness I find that rough lining the basket with a 1/4 sheet of kitchen paper means you can dump the mess into the compostable bag with very few grounds needing to be rinsed out - makes the whole process quick, simple and easy to clean.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:13:21 pm »
A lock-on grease nipple coupler.
(Assuming, of course, that pressie recipient has mechanical equipment that needs to be greased ! :D )
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:20:27 pm by arobwk »

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 05:17:15 pm »
(Best reserved as a pressie for folk with mechanical equipment that needs to be greased !)
I'm pleased that you clarified that!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 05:26:57 pm »
(Best reserved as a pressie for folk with mechanical equipment that needs to be greased !)
I'm pleased that you clarified that!

I did an edit to my post: however, I think my original bracketed comment (as quoted DandC) was probably better than the edit! LOL

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
Not sure if this counts as a "gadget", but ... for equipment maintainers:  if there's a grumble about getting new oil into awkward filler ports, the Fluid Transfer Pump I bought at fourby.co.uk works a treat. Screws directly onto small plastic oil cans (I've not had a thread mis-match yet on any 5 ltr 'cans') and pumping is very easy and controllable.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 11:25:41 pm »
For general gardening op's:  a Hori Hori, i.e. a Japanese digging knife.  Mine was gifted and I remain ever so grateful.  Great for dividing plant "root" balls (apart from the very toughest), freeing up root-bound plants in smaller pots (blade about 7" I think - mine's not to hand so can't measure) and weeding out the rooty stuff.

For tree pruning op's:  a Silky brand pruning saw.  (Mine's a fine tooth "Silky Gomtaro Apple" - cuts through finger-sized stems with a single backward swipe and leaves an extremely clean cut.  Larger cuts no problem, but probably not with a single swipe.  I mainly use mine for fruit tree pruning, but it's good for other stuff.  Not sure they call the fine tooth version "Apple" any more but it is a formidable tool - mind your fingers!)

I mention these 2 tools in detail because they are, when I think about it, the 2 tools I would simply not be without. Great as gifts - gardening recipients will love you I reckon.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:27:56 pm by arobwk »

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 05:25:12 pm »
Yes arowbak. We bought a hori hori. It's great for getting rid of the weeds that grow right next to the plant and good for cutting roots deep.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:09 pm »
Could I please ask what the hori hori is like?- some are very serrated, others slightly pointy towels.  -which work best??

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 02:15:15 pm »
[member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] - mine is the "standard" Hori Hori with serrated blade-edge one side and plain-edge other side.  Haven't found plain edge good for much, but it obviously helps "twiddle" it through the soil - it's the serrated edge that I use for divisions etc. 
I don't doubt there are quite useful alternative designs, but I've not tried any.
Obviously a Hori Hori will need sharpening periodically.  (I frequently renew the edge on all my soil working tools.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:26:36 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS