Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trees and hedging birch?  (Read 1487 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Trees and hedging birch?
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:44:06 am »
10 years ago I ended up with about 50 mixed whipsand planted a little mixed species hedge in the garden. I kept it to about 6'. We're moving in spring, swapping houses with in laws, who've said the hedge will be coming out. Just wondering what my chances of moving them into field boundaries. I already have 25 little apple trees to carefully rehome in the new garden and another 200 or so apples trees from pips, oaks and horse chestnuts for field boundaries so not looking for extra planting jobs especially as my two small boys don't like it much :-(
The little trees are 2-4 years old so I think will move ok.

The mixed hedge trees have been in situ about 10 years so will take a lot of digging out and replanting. Will they likely survive?  I don't mind having a go and looking after the 8 oaks but don't want to spend time moving others if they are likely to die.  Do you think the birch, wild cherry and hawthorn will tolerate it?

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: Trees and hedging birch?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:56:40 am »
I wouldn’ expect much success with a hedge that old aa you’ll do so much damage to the roots.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:30:48 am »
Do you have access to a minidigger?
If you want to try and save some, I would dig down one side, severing the roots. Replace soil. Couple of months later, hopefully they will have strarted putting fresh roots out, dig down the other side. If you can leave another couple of months, then use minidigger to get them out. If they are coming out anyway, I would try and give them a chance. Or at least some of them.
 Can't you convince in-laws it's a good windbreak, good for birds nesting? Are you near enough to keep it cut back for them?
Or do they just not like trees/shrubs Such a shame really.

I Love planting apple pips as well, got quite a crop this year, but it's the blossom in spring that lifts my spirits, lovely with all the bees on it  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:10:41 pm »
Our neighbour has moved 3 quite large trees from woodland.  He did it quite roughly but one has survived beautifully, a second is a half success but the third didn't take.  He didn't try watering them in even.
I know that you can move fairly large trees - there is quite an international trade in hauling out large trees to send abroad for Chelsea and so on.
I think it's well worth a go, even with a hedge.  Coppice it right back to about 6" above the ground, dig out along each side then take out the plants. I'm not sure if you need to keep a large ball of soil around the roots, or just do them like bare rooted.   I think there will be a lot of root damage, but by coppicing them first they have the best chance of survival, and they will not rock in the wind.  Have the holes open for planting them into so the roots have no chance to dry out, then water them in thoroughly (or do it before it rains heavily)
For trees such as the oak, I'm sure they can be moved without coppicing, but stake them very securely in their new positions.
I have no experience of doing this, so it's just a suggestion  :)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:12:50 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »
They've got big plans for their garden and I want them to do what they want, create something and love the place, rather than feel obligated to keep anything Ive left here.
I feel copicing would give them the best chance as well. I'll have to ask other half about a digger.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS