Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed/Doe/Weaning 5 month olds  (Read 1211 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Feed/Doe/Weaning 5 month olds
« on: November 24, 2018, 11:09:14 am »
Hi all

Could I get some advice on what I should be feeding my 3 and half year old GG cross doe please. She is still feeding her 5 month old kids and I stopped milking her about 1 month ago. She gets hay ad lib, willow and veg several times a week. I mug of concentrate, 1 mug of flaked barley and 3/4 mug of Dengies Alfa Beet twice daily. Shes been on this ration since I stopped milking. She weaned last years kid around 6 months old so I'm wondering if  I should start cutting back? Her pre kid diet was just half mug of concentrate, hay and small amount alfalfa. Thanks.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Feed/Doe/Weaning 5 month olds
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:32:34 am »
Yep I would cut back as she will be weaning the kid. She is in good condition  Is she going to be put back in kid?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Re: Feed/Doe/Weaning 5 month olds
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
Thanks Anke, condition wise she's not bad but we won't be mating her again - sadly as she's a good milker - both years shes kidded she had problems with one side of her udder and this year rejected one of her kids and I had to bottle feed him until she grudgingly accepted him, but never let him feed too long. He is however the chunkiest kid of the two so he's getting enough anyway. I kept her last year's daughter so she might go the billy this year if I can find one!
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS