Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sparrowhawks  (Read 4241 times)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Sparrowhawks
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 06:12:34 pm »
General wildlife interest, Arobwk! Do you have any snaps of the Beast of Bodmin??

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:27 pm »
I wish, zwartbles (re pics of the beast)

Have to admit though that I get a bit twitched when the dogs are a bit twitched on arrival at my land:  they are used to deer/rabbit/fox/badger scent/trails so, if they seem to be unusually agitated, I cannot help feeling a bit agitated also.  One supposed big cat sighting (I think 2016) was just the other side of the hill at Whitemoor. However, I often check for animal tracks to see what has tracking across my land and nothing so far to suggest ‘the beast’ has extended its range to hunt the deer that like to trespass on my little bit of mid-Cornwall!
 :D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:28:20 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 12:11:59 am »
Mr F and one of our grandsons saw a Kellas Cat casually crossing the road a couple of miles from us here in Scotland.  The Beast of Elsrickle doesn't sound quite as scary as The Beast of Bodmin, but it's a similar very large black cat of some sort.  No camera, and never seen again by us.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:48 pm »
Rabies is the biggest threat disease wise. It would be nearly impossible to innoculate them in the wild. They have a huge range and kill by running prey until it is exhausted. They are not strictly dogs. Lycaon Pictus ( Painted Wolf? ) is the scientific name. Foot construction differs from ordinary dogs, they have only four toes. Where they are restricted in range size in fenced reserves they have learnt to kill prey by running them into the fences! Because of small size and weight compared to the big cats they cannot kill by suffocation, they just wait until their prey drops from exhaustion and then pile in and start to eat !!Very pretty though.

Not sure I can agree on "very pretty" though, but quite fascinating nevertheless. I think we always underestimate wild animals' ability to learn and adapt...

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 04:41:18 pm »
I have been informed by an expert that the reason sparrowhawks don't go for wood pigeons is the high chance of getting splinters.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 07:13:16 pm »
Peregrines take out the woodies here but not enough of them as they breed as fast as the rabbits - which have liver fluke and are a right pain in the proverbial.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS