Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Playing with Hydroponics.. my tale  (Read 3953 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Playing with Hydroponics.. my tale
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:52:53 am »
I aquired an allotment with a polytunnel earlier this year and wanted to overwinter ANYTHING so  I put a few self seeded lollo rosso lettuces in the soil to try to keep them. 
While i was doing that I was reading about hydroponics but finding a mental resistance from the blend of nutrients and essential trace elements that were needed in exacting quantities to the volume of water etc.
I was also put off by the special little baskets and growing medium that needed to be purchased.  Drilling the right size holes for the baskets etc all seemed like too much of a bother.
So, I filled a plastic water proof container with rain water - floated a few small sheets of polystyrene with 3/8 inch holes drilled in. Then put about 12-14 of the self setting lollo rosso lettuces with their roots through to the water.
All I added to the water was 4 trowel fulls of chicken poo from the stuff I scrape off the chicken pen surface - stirred it and left it alone.
Well soo far it is working well!  The hydroponic lettuces have now caught up with the ones i planted in the soil and the leaves and roots seem to be growing strongly.
I am looking out for signs of nutrient deficiency but none so far.
Anybody care to comment on whether they think this could be succesful or tried something similar?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Playing with Hydroponics.. my tale
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »
Never tried it for the same reason as you. Keep us informed

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
Never tried it because I'm entrenched in the importance of the soil in food production, as promoted by Organic methods.  It does sound though rather like fish hydroponics, where fish are raised in the water supply tank.  Their droppings in the water supply the nutrients for the veg, plus the fish themselves provide the main course for dinner.
If your method works, which it looks as if it will, it could be on the same lines as raised beds - you don't need raised beds for growing veg, but so many gardeners are happy to fork out £100s to make them, because they are pushed by the gardening industry (who even needs that either?) so are seen as essential.  You don't need all the folderolle hyrdroponics suppliers insist you do, so only with trials like yours can we show there's a more straightforward way.  Which is a long winded way of saying 'more power to your  :chook: :poo: '
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 03:15:07 pm »
Thanks for your replies - I will get you some pictures if you want of the ones in my ploytunnel and the hydroponics and even a comparison to the self setters which remain outside - thats if you want me to  ;)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 03:56:34 pm »
I can get a supply of  chicken and rabbit poo so i would like to have a go at this too. Just need to get the greenhouse/polytunnel sorted first.

I do like the idea of fish hydroponics and was going to try it with brown trout as i think they are a fantastic tasting fish. Tapia (?) and carp seem to be the rage but i've never eaten them so don't know what they are like.

Please do keep us updated on this project because  i for one am certainly interested.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »
I think hydroponics with fish is called aquaponics - like the idea of that too but agin a bit complicated with the pipework pumps and filters etc  - just a bit involved for a couple of lettuces for me.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 04:28:39 pm »
how much rabbit poo do you have access to Alang?  its supposed to be better than chicken poo for NPK content - you probably already know that.
I was looking for local rabbit farms near me but they seem to have all closed down.

have a look at the chart on this link - its really interesting to see the difference.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/composts-fertilisers/npk-nutritional-values-animal-manures-compost/

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 05:16:21 pm »
I think hydroponics with fish is called aquaponic

You'd be correct. My mistake.

how much rabbit poo do you have access to Alang?  its supposed to be better than chicken poo for NPK content - you probably already know that.
I was looking for local rabbit farms near me but they seem to have all closed down.

I have two pet rabbits and work on a farm where i could collect it should i need.But i am also going to be breeding meat rabbits so will have alot more of it. Just need to find someone that actually has meat rabbits. They are  like hens teeth to find.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:32:14 am »
I have experimented with aquaponics and duckponics a fair bit.

Plumbing is tricky as water in and water out have to seriously considered otherwise you overflow the system and depending on the system you want to build you might have to build bell siphons which give you a rise and fall of water in your bed.
I first started with fish (perch) which can get complicated as you have to monitor Ph levels of the water and keep O2 levels high. I then switched to chicken manure and then finally ducks although i have a separate pond for ducks as they would destroy my system with straw and other debris.

I have used all sorts to build a system. Those big blue barrels work well but i have moved to big trays that are expensive but look nicer. I also use clay pebbles as well. The clay pebbles are good for the bacteria that feed the plants because they are porous it gives a larger surface area for them to set up shop. The falling water back into the pond adds oxygen to the water which really helps plants thrive.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:42 am »
I can get a supply of  chicken and rabbit poo so i would like to have a go at this too. Just need to get the greenhouse/polytunnel sorted first.

I do like the idea of fish hydroponics and was going to try it with brown trout as i think they are a fantastic tasting fish. Tapia (?) and carp seem to be the rage but i've never eaten them so don't know what they are like.

Please do keep us updated on this project because  i for one am certainly interested.
Farming programme on Radio 4 was saying that Brown trout are better than Tilapia because you don't need to keep the water warm

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 07:34:04 pm »

Farming programme on Radio 4 was saying that Brown trout are better than Tilapia because you don't need to keep the water warm

I originally was thinking of going down the rainbow trout route but if i'm honest i love the brown trout meat more. Yes it's a smaller fish but i personally think it tastes better. Plus when i used to fish for them up here i found them to be a fantastic sport on a very light rod.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:18:45 pm by alang »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 09:21:50 pm »
Alan,  I'm really not sure you'll taste any difference between brown and rainbow trout. Having eaten both the wild and farmed versions of both, IMHO the taste difference was in the rearing / feeding, not the genetics!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 07:05:20 pm »
Maybe the brownies just tasted better because i had to suffer/survive the midgies in order to catch them  :roflanim:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:17 am »
Here are some photo's
the first picture is the original self setter lollo rosso
the second one is the one transplanted to the polytunnel
the third picture is the hydroponic moved about 3 weeks after picture 2
there is a bonus picture to show how the roots have developed and how simply the polystyrene float was made

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 09:47:55 pm »
It might be a good idea to soak your harvested crops in a baby bottle sterilizing solution of Milton or other baby bottle cleaner and then rinse off a couple of times after the allotted sterilizing time to reduce the likelihood of getting all manner of nasties in your tummy as the feed is bacterially live &  not good for you .

I would be very wary of growing any soft fruit in such a solution incase of splashes on the fruits or even spraying it over such growing crops as a foliar feed for the same reason .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS