Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coughing Jersey 4 month Calf  (Read 1726 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Coughing Jersey 4 month Calf
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »
I added a Jersey calf to my herd back in August with the hopes she would be a long term investment towards becoming a future house cow.

She has had a runny eye for a couple of weeks.  I treated her with Opticlox for 1 week but then she developed a dry cough.

I put in a poo sample which vets tested for worms, cocci and Lung worm all negative.

Her temp is a steady 38.3c.  The vet seems abit unsure as to why she is coughing.  I really didn't want her to go another weekend not being treated so he prescribed Metacam Anti-Inflammatory injection in the hopes it will stop anything that might be progressing.

It's been abit worrying having the vet scratch his head on this!.  Has anyone else had this sort of issue?.  Maybe I have just caught it early before it progresses into pneumonia?

Ps.  She is not on her mum and has just been weaned.

Thanks
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Coughing Jersey 4 month Calf
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:06:51 pm »
Personally I would have treated her for lungworm anyway.  I’m not sure whether a FEC is 100% reliable for lungworm?  August is a peak time for lungworm, young cattle would normally be wormed for their first summer season on grass after weaning...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:37:29 am »
I too would worm for lungworm as they may be doing damage but not laying eggs.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:11:47 am »
there's a lot of pneumonia about at the moment, with the changable weather. if she's just been weaned she will be stressed, lowering the immune system somewhat. we weaned a bunch of suckler calves a few weeks ago and treated 4 or 5 for pneumonia  :raining:   

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 06:28:33 am »
No temperature, no lung rattles as vet checked, no droopy ears.  Not your usual pneumonia but I agree there is a lot about.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS