Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moles!  (Read 2977 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Moles!
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:01 pm »
Help! We have an influx of moles into our garden. They came in last year, I think from the fields in response to wet boggy land and now we can't get rid of them. Had 2 sets of visits from a mole man and set my own traps but think they keep finding the exisiting runs. Previously, years ago in another place, we've gassed them but obviously not allowed anymore. Any help appreciated.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Moles!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:50:21 pm »
Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask
http://www.walcotefarm.co.uk/molecatching/mole_catching.htm

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:02:22 pm »

Yes, they do find the existing runs again, and again, and again!

This page may be helpful too - I know the bloke wot wrote it  ;) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:57:00 am »
Here they use explosives! Came as quite a surprise to see these devices sold in the gardening shops as 'health and safety' would never allow them in England. Basically it is a small explosive device and an electrical trigger set in a mole run and then buried. The mole touches the trigger and the resulting explosion sweeps through the mole tunnels killing everything within several metres (may contain poison gas as well). Very effective indeed, but it does blow holes in your lawn and would take your fingers off.

If you happen to go to France €70 will get you the trigger assembly with 4 charges. But take care as our neighbour used one and it went off seconds after burying it, showering her in earth. It did however wipe out all the moles in quite a large lawn in one go. Traditional mechanical traps can also be bought here, for those who prefer to play safe and have the time for all the digging.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:06 am »
Wow!

Is it just me, or does planting land mines in your own fields feel like just one step too far?  :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clanger

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:46:40 pm »
Surprised no one has suggested this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas&feature=youtu.be

Chris

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 06:27:38 pm »
  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 07:55:43 am »
Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask
http://www.walcotefarm.co.uk/molecatching/mole_catching.htm

The advice on this website got me a couple of troublesome moles a few years ago.  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 12:57:16 pm »
Having moles shows that you have wonderfully fertile soil with lots of earthworms aerating it, pulling down leaves and compost and turning it into something your plants can use as feed.  We have a few moles, whereas the farmer around us has none because he uses persistent wormers for his livestock. The wormers kill the earthworms, so the moles don't come as there's no food for them.
The downside of that is your soil will be far less fertile than when earthworms are present.

Every few years we get fed up with the molehills so we get the mole catcher in.  He gets about 20 then stops (probably so he has to come back, keeping himself with a customer - or is that too cycnical?)

Mostly we tolerate the moles.  The dogs catch them sometimes but make more mess doing so than the moles themselves do.  Their spoil hills are great for new soil for the tunnel and garden, and we really miss that in molecatcher years.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Briggsy from Gower

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »
Fleecewife and Jasper Carrot are right.

They will prevail, I find it easier to be philosophical about it.

I am less philosophical about Hercules the giant squirrel today learning how to use the ducks hopper.

Everyone has their limits!

Good luck, and make good use of that lovely wormy soil.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:19:04 pm »
Just been to the garden centre that sells those exploding traps. Their web site is www.detaupeur.com which has a demo video. Seems it works by sensing when the mole is pushing soil into a hill and explodes beneath it.

Having set two modified traditional traps exactly as instructed on the site mentioned earlier I have caught nothing in weeks- looks like I'll be trying the explosives!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS