Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats wool?  (Read 3141 times)

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
Goats wool?
« on: October 25, 2018, 08:29:23 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what the correct word for it is, neither did translate. But I need a goats fur (?) and have tried to buy it here in Sweden, with no luck. So I thought I should check with you guys if anyone has a goat with long coarse fur in need of an haircut? The thing is that I am planning to knit a pair of raggsockor (traditional swedish socks) and the yarn you can buy no longer has goatswool in it, they have changed it to nylon.  ::)

How much would you want for it or do you want something sent to you from Sweden instead? Homemade knäckebröd perhaps?

By Calle Eklund/Vivo - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42018690

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Goats wool?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:03:43 pm »
This sort of goats used to be brushed to get their CASHMERE. Angora goats are shorn, like sheep, to get their MOHAIR.
The COARSE OUTER hair could be used for things like ropes and maybe rugs?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »
This sort of goats used to be brushed to get their CASHMERE. Angora goats are shorn, like sheep, to get their MOHAIR.
The COARSE OUTER hair could be used for things like ropes and maybe rugs?

We do have cashmere and angora here to, but that is not the type of fiber I'm looking for. The traditional raggsockor, was itchy and coarse, like the hair on a Australian terrier, a scottish deerhound, a irish wolfhound etc. It is what makes them durable.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 10:06:56 pm »
We put mohair in our sock blends to give them durability.  Kid mohair tends to be relatively soft, adult mohair can be much as you describe ;)

You might turn up some other answers and suggestions if you post in Goats.  There is also a group Goat Devoted on Ravelry, and there's Facebook group called something like Goaty Friends, I think.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 10:33:32 pm »
We put mohair in our sock blends to give them durability.  Kid mohair tends to be relatively soft, adult mohair can be much as you describe ;)

You might turn up some other answers and suggestions if you post in Goats.  There is also a group Goat Devoted on Ravelry, and there's Facebook group called something like Goaty Friends, I think.
Mohair is not strong enough. I'm sure it is in your country, but what you call a "blizzard with drifts" we call frost. ;) Living here on a smallholding tears on clothes, I move around far more than you do. Have you ever walked through 135 cm of snow?

Don't take this wrong, i'm not patronizing you, i'm just explaining the differances. :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:37:06 pm »
No, I get it, which is why I suggested you look in goaty groups for more input than we've been able to give you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:07:11 pm »
   <<<Have you ever walked through 135 cm of snow?>>>

Well, yes.  I've also climbed over and fallen through 8' (2.6m) drifts to get feed to, or to dig out, my animals.  We don't often get as much snow as other countries, being a maritime climate, but sometimes when the wind comes from Siberia, then picks up a chunk of the ocean, we do get some snow, very wet and heavy and difficult to clear.  We probably go on about it more than other countries, and the press builds up a light dusting into a major fall, because we get such varied weather that we love to talk about it - it's different every day, and often within one day.  Then when it is really cold, we do need the warmest clothing.

Sorry I can't help with goat hair.  I use Hebridean sheep's fleece, which is double, for boot socks, as the inner layer provides warmth and the outer, hair layer provides strength, but I'm sure it doesn't have quite the warming qualities of goat.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:20:47 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 06:30:15 am »
I have angora goats and understand that kid and young goat fleece wouldn't be strong enough but the mohair from my old doe is much stronger.
About 4 inches long I think.  If you think it might be suitable I can send a photo later when I can get to it in the shed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS