Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got Laurel hedging?  (Read 7899 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Anyone got Laurel hedging?
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:42:57 pm »
Anyone heard anything one way or the other about having Laurel hedging bordering turnout/hay fields?

???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Anyone got Laurel hedging?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:25:56 pm »
I don't keep horses, but laurel killed one of my sheep and made another very sick
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »
Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) is poisonous, pics here http://www.floralimages.co.uk/page.php?taxon=prunus_laurocerasus,1,2

Hardfeather

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »
I don't keep horses, but laurel killed one of my sheep and made another very sick

A one-time neighbour of mine had some BF ewes which ate laurel and he drenched them with copious amounts of black coffee, and saved their lives. It works for rhododendron poisoning as well.

I do have laurel in a mixed hedge in my garden, which is accessible when/if the horses are on stubble next to the house. They will eat the odd yellow/brown fallen leaf, but I've never known them to eat from the bushes. I do, however, always run a scare fence along the hedge as I don't want them at it anyway. Our tying-up rail is right next to a laurel bush but the horses don't seem interested in it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:10:21 pm by AengusOg »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »
Its not as poisonous as some things, but definitely not something I would allow horses access to. Electric fence = cheaper than vet bill!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 11:25:46 pm »
Some of my overgrown old hedges that bordered the shrubbery part of the garden where full of both types of laurel, which had made trees over 20 ft high and wider across, and their branches hung right down into the orchard.  I was worried about them, but at the time just couldnt get anything done, after a few years of keeping sheep and cattle without problems, when I got a couple of ponies, I had more or less forgotten about it being a potential problem. 

They all used the orchard for several years without problems.  I also had a few foxgloves come up, and never seemed to have a problem.  I think sometimes if animals are short of feed they are more likely to be tempted, or if they have some sort of mineral deficiency.

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »
Thanks folks. I remember being taught it was to be avoided, but value your hands on experiences.

Think I'll swerve the 50 odd plants I have been offered...

:wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS