Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off on a new adventure!  (Read 4262 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Off on a new adventure!
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Today we purchased a run down farmhouse and six acres at auction so it looks like we're going to be into smallholding properly now! Currently, we keep light sussex and marans chickens for eggs and the table, occassional ducks for the table and this year we had our first old spot weaners which we did with five other families as a 'pig club'. The plan is to scale this up - start off with what we know - and bring the veggie growing on more slowly.

I'm afraid I'll be asking an awful lot of quesstions over the next six months - so please humour me ;)

Ben

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
Re: Off on a new adventure!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »
Well done you you will love it Nothing better than living off your own land its exciting

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:06 pm »
Hi Ben - wish you all the best - I'm sure lots of people hear have the 'howling rain' stories but even in Aberdeenshire we get 'Sunny' stories too - I've found this forum to be fantastic, so willing to help and offer advice - if it wasn't for the people here I would have the vet on speed dial and be bankrupt (ok nearly bankrupt but the vets not on speed dial)!! have fun
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:27 pm »
Hi and welcome from clear and calm (weatherwise) Carnoustie  :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:50:27 pm »
Hello and good luck with your venture. :wave:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:40:35 am »
Congratulations I hope your troubles will be small ones and you successes grow and grow.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:21 pm »
Hi and welcome from sunny Aboyne!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:26:08 pm »
Hello from  north Wales.  Good luck with the smallholding, sounds like you've got some good ideas already.  Cheers. 

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »
Hello and welcome, only jave some chickens and a pair of ducks but know you will enjoy the hard work and free fresh air, I should put some nice wellies on your Christmas list, smallholders do everything in thier wellies (sometimes they do take them off and put crocs on!!)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:09 pm »
Best of luck with the new adventure - sounds like you have agood picture of what you want to achieve  :D
Tish

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »
Welcome from Fife   :wave:

Good luck   ;)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:41:07 pm »
Thanks everyone, and yes, I'll have some decent wellies on my Christmas list as well as a new chainsaw and all the other toys I'm looking forward to having an excuse to own!

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:48:02 pm »
We bought a cheap chainsaw that was expensive to us but not to a real tree person, anyway, it needs tightening and sharpening now, no use at all. Strange how our wants change, we love plants, trees,bulbs and tools and not into handbags, jewels etc etc! I love my wellies and would swap them for any Jimmy chu shoe!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:54:28 pm »
chainsaws can be sharpened its not difficult, (they are one of the best tools ever)

i live in work boots and wellies and have a collection of powertools that make me very happy

one day i'll have somewhere big enough to use them all, for now i'm happy practicing on other peoples land and gardens!!!

good luck with the new adventure

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS