Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Escaping London  (Read 1226 times)

Longshanks

• Joined Oct 2018
Escaping London
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:41:07 am »
Evening.

A born and bred Londoner in my late 20s looking to escape to the country after becoming disillusioned with city life. I've worked hard and saved a substantial amount of money so a decent smallholding would be within reach without any debt. A shared community to learn the ropes would be ideal.

Sport is my passion and I'm active in politics out of duty.

:wave:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Escaping London
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:33:27 pm »
Welcome to the forum Longshanks.  I can sympathise:  it ain't what it used to be.  I'm not born & bred, but lived there for 20-odd enjoyable years (some time ago mind).  Last enforced visit was about 7 years ago:  hated every minute and avowed never to set foot into a London post-code ever again and I haven't despite old friends' invites.  Good luck with finding your exit opportunity. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 03:52:12 pm »
I’m a Londoner as well but grew up (from aged 6) in Hastings, East Sussex. For all that, I’m a country girl at heart but married to a townie. ;D  Now in Telford but with my garden as a microholding with fruit trees, veggies and, until very recently, goats. Good luck with your search. Most people seem to end up in Wales or Scotland and property tends to be cheaper there.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 05:55:05 pm »
You mention community - have a look at Monkton Wyld, Canon Frome Court, Postlip, Old Hall, Braziers Park, Trelay.  Those are all the ones I can think of that have livestock (*); if you are not bothered whether there’s livestock as well as growing, there will be others that might suit too, including Springhill. Most are listed on the UK Cohousing Network site. 

I’m at Trelay. 

(*) There’s also Tinkers Bubble and Fivepenny Farm and a few others - but they might be a bit too ‘hard core’ for you. (They are for me!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Longshanks

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:38:29 am »
Thanks for your replies - especially Sally with the names. I had stumbled across a couple of those already on Greenshifters and it made me think of looking for that rather than a single place with land which could end up being isolated.

Right now I'm keen on Pateley Bridge, a small town on the Dales within reasonable distance of Harrogate. A small community with a cricket ground and fields for some veggies and a small flock seems just the ticket. I'd have my townie comforts like the internet, gas and... shops with incredible cycling on my doorstep. In a tourist hot spot, there would be business opportunities too (cafe, bike shop, room rentals etc, small holding experience days) but safe enough to raise a family. I shall visit soon on a scouting mission.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS