Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what's your favourite Chicken to rear for meat?  (Read 3697 times)

valechickens

• Joined Sep 2010
  • our peacock chick pretending to be maran!
    • http://www.valechickens.co.uk
what's your favourite Chicken to rear for meat?
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:28:25 pm »
Just thought would rack your brains and see what answers people came up with as the poll on favourite chickens was some interesting reading.
Valechickens.co.uk

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: what's your favourite Chicken to rear for meat?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:20 pm »
Can't way to hear this - I'm thinking of Orpingtons or Sussexes for meat, but there are some websites that claim 'ordinary' meat birds (not those supermarket ones) don't have much meat left on them due to emphasis on showing... true or not?

Eve  :wave:

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:36:03 am »
Cobb ross meaty breed. It's very tender, a pale meat, rather like a supermarkets but better tasting... having said that it's not as flavoursome as the sasso and hubbard. But it is my favourite tasting meat bird.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
We have a surplus of Bantam cockerels, killed at 19 weeks, ok they are small so one each but WOW are they tasty!!  Its just us eating them so I suppose it doesnt matter too much but OH, whose parents used to supply meat birds to friends and family, passed comment that they are the nicest home bred, home killed birds he has tasted!!  Mind you, I did point out that if you kill em when they are 'empty' it tends to make the job much easier!!  ;)

Probably would raise the odd eyebrow if we served one up for a sunday, family roast, they might think we are putting them on diets, lovely though!

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »
We eat all our spare boys we run on.

Orpington is very nice white meat. But takes a age to get to stage of eating a good 6 to 8 months to get a 6 pound dressed bird.

Norfolk grey boys have a a lot of breast meat so super fab

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:14:35 pm »
Hi There - I always have to put in a word for the traditional English Cuckoo Marans,  ;) mainly because people never think of the possibility of eating them. 

They were originally valued as a meat bird, and only later for their eggs.  The flesh is fine textured and very white with a gourmet flavour, though mine tend to carry no fat unless I specially fatten them for the last couple of weeks

From Wikipedia  -  "During 1929, Lord Greenway was attracted by the particular fleshing qualities of the Marans he saw at the Paris exhibition. (The birds having a fine textured white flesh with gourmet flavour, and at the time fast growing) Unfortunately at that time there was an import restriction on livestock, but some eggs were smuggled into the county that same year in a luncheon basket as hard-boiled eggs.

J S Parkin, Lord Greenway’s Poultry Manager hatched stock from these eggs and found the brown egg factor – he was so impressed that as soon as the restrictions were lifted he imported 60 day old chicks"

They will take much longer to mature, but when dressed out will be a good weight something around 5-6 lbs generally with little wastage

I wouldn't choose them if I just wanted "meat birds" but well chosen they make a good dual purpose bird, the dark brown eggs always give a wow factor to a box of eggs even if just one is included.

All the best
sue
Dark Brown Eggs :wave:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:16:15 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:49:56 am »
I breed my own dual purpose and the feedback I get from the people I sell them to is very good.
To save me boring you all again with details if your interested in breeding your own I have given the way I did it on my web site.

Improved Indian Game..3/4 Indian Game 1/4 Australorp.

Welsh Black Cock... Australorp X Indian Game.

Under breeding for Dual purpose.

www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:51:45 am by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:23:50 am »
Castlefarm...I would like to buy from you, but can't risk eggs in the post. I don't have an incubator, either, so that means further complications in synchronising broodies to egg supply. Is there any way you would agree to send birds by courier and, if so, what would be the arrangements?

I'd be particularly interested in the Sumatra, and the improved IG.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:26:34 am by AengusOg »

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:35 pm »
Hi Angus.

I have a very nice trio of Sumatras here (last lot for this year) A last years cock with two of this years pullets.

I have a number of Improved Indian Game of all ages (sexed).

Getting them up to you would prove to be a problem.
Is there anyone near you coming down to the Welsh Cob Sale this month at The Royal Welsh Showground at Builth Wells.
(3 day sale and thousands attend from all over the world.)

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hardfeather

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:58:46 pm »
It's doubtful I'd know anyone coming to the sales. I don't know that many Welsh cob bods.

I have a pair of blue Sumatra which I was given recently. They are moulting at the moment, but they look like good birds. I do like your blacks, though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS