Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yes planning question again.  (Read 2241 times)

Bogart

• Joined Oct 2018
Yes planning question again.
« on: October 25, 2018, 09:49:25 am »
I own a listed property on land of some 2Ac in addition to which I have 0.75Ac of meadow and the same of woodland. The meadow and woodland are classified as agricultural land. What I would like is to erect a steel/wooden structure some 20ft x 15 ft approximately for the storage of a ride on mower, rotovator, boom sprayer etc. I have approcahed the relevant council planning department and after a lot of emails in both directions have been advised to submit a full application for erection of said structure. Would this seem to be the correct decision to have arrived at? I get bogged down by the old "permitted development" approach. I was told if I decided to change the use from agricultural to residential, which I never suggest as an option, that permitted development would probably be withdrawn, so that seems a rather silly course to take.
Any comments gratefully received.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Yes planning question again.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:35:20 am »
Where exactly do you want to put the structure? Personally I think going down the whole permitted development on agricultural land is a bit of a bit of a red herring. You'll really have to jump through hoops and it'll prove expensive and time consuming.

Why don't you build a garage on the non-agricultural land, you'll need to check with your local council but I think you can build up to 30 square metres without planning. Its very slightly smaller than what you were planning but would be a lot less hassle.

Just remember for all eternity to call it a garage and not barn or stable...!!

Bogart

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:51:31 am »
Ah if it was that simple. There already is a triple garage, a triple outhouse and a seperate outhouse associated with the property. As the property is listed any building for which I got permission would have to find favour with the planning people and the listed buildings, conservation officer, folks too. This encompasses even more hoops to jump through ie must match current buildings etc. Also there is really nowhere I would like an additional building on the curtilage of the house hence the idea of going into the meadow. It will not be closer than the 2m from neighbours fencing etc and will be at least 100m from their actual property at the end of their meadow area.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:40:36 pm »
Sorry I read your post as you having 2 acres and an additional 1.5 acres classed as agricultural land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
Sorry I read your post as you having 2 acres and an additional 1.5 acres classed as agricultural land.
I did too! 

"in addition to which I have 0.75Ac of meadow and the same of woodland. The meadow and woodland are classified as agricultural land."

0.75 plus 0.75 = 1.5  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bogart

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:34:37 pm »
Sorry if I confused you. There is about 2Ac on which the property is built classed as residential, well assuming it is!
Plus another 1.5Ac split between meadow and wood classed as agricultural.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:54:45 pm by Bogart »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:38:54 pm »
It depends a bit on whether in your communications they have indicated if they feel the application is likely to be approvable or this is a case of submit it so they can turn it down!  If they have indicated it is potentially approvable then you have nothing to lose by submitting it.  We did a building on oor agricultural land under pre notification last year. For 5 hectares plus you need to indicate it is a business, or you have a business plan (might get away with something quite informal) to have a business.

Bogart

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:55:45 pm »
The concensus was that it would probably be approved, if so all okay. I am just surprised I have to have permission in the first place.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 02:48:36 pm »
You dont own enough land for 28 day planning through permitted development.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS