Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and planning permission  (Read 3725 times)

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
Pigs and planning permission
« on: October 23, 2018, 10:34:57 am »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with planning permission for an agricultural dwelling and pigs as livestock please.
I would be interested to hear of the numbers if sows your needed to justify your dwelling.

My holding is over 5 ha and I currently run 10 wild boar sows and progeny and I’m looking to run 10 conventional sows selling half as weaner and fattening the other half of their progeny.

Thanks Jim

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Pigs and planning permission
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:48:27 pm »
As  I understand it, you have to be able to prove, or have accounts to show that you can earn at least the national minimum wage from your enterprise.

So- do your research and your sums, and if the figures stack up in reality (and not from wishful thinking!) then you should be in with a chance.  :excited:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:33:02 pm »
As above. We put in for a building on a similar sized plot last year. You have to be a business so they can ask for old accounts or a business plan.  I didnt put any detail,into my application beyond sayingnit was for a rare breed pig enterprise

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:22:43 pm »
Ditto, we're in progress, just had to apply for an extension due to setbacks last year (pregnancy!)

It is hard work though, can't see many managing it selling weaners. We sell everything ourselves or via shops and it is not easy to make it work
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:04:05 pm by greenbeast »

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:30:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply’s,

Making a profit isn’t the issue I’m already earning good money with the boar and the pigs we currently keep.
The issue is the need to reside on site to look after the animals. There needs to be enough pigs on site to warrant a full time workers job 40+!hours per week.
This was why I was asking about others peoples stock ratios when they applied.

Thanks Jim

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »
We applied based on a business plan using 15 sows.

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 09:51:08 pm »
Thanks greenbeast, if you don’t mind me asking whereabouts are you based England, Scotland or Wales?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:19:46 pm »
South East England

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS