Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best dual purpose breed for the family  (Read 3174 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Best dual purpose breed for the family
« on: October 22, 2018, 03:20:19 pm »
Hello
I'm thinking what breed to start for my next project. I am mainly looking for something that is dual purpose - oats decent eggs, has decent amount of flesh and most importantly tastes the Best!
I'm considering:
- Marans - had one cockerel which we just ate yesterday - fantastic! 1.5kg oven ready carcass. Massive dark meat legs, white meat breast (obviously smaller than beoilers)
- Dorking - didn't have much luck with them last time as the cockerel had bent chest and was later eaten by fox... but I'm willing to try then again
- Bresse - large and meaty, good number of eggs too
- Swedish Flower Hens - I like the look of them, all different colours, quite large l. Not sure how many eggs they lay
- Speckled Sussex - like the colour.

I obviously like breeds with history lol

I already keep broilers which I sell, but I want something with extra flavour for ourselves.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:27:17 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
Re: Best dual purpose breed for the family
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 03:30:37 pm »
My skånska blommehönor (swedish flower hens) lay an egg per day during season. And has a fair amount of meat on them, okay, not like the supermarkets chickens, but enough.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:04:19 pm »
I would buy from this guy! http://www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk/

They look impressive :)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »
I bought a trio of young speckled Sussex last night from a lady in Lincolnshire.
Lovely birds but slow very slow growing apparently.
I'm also looking for some Lincolnshire buff
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 07:50:54 am »
I use Ixworth x Dorkings, added benefit that they are very placed which is useful when the boys get to 4-5 months and still get fairly well along  :)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:06 am »
I use Ixworth x Dorkings, added benefit that they are very placed which is useful when the boys get to 4-5 months and still get fairly well along  :)
Ixworth was the breed that came to mind - albeit a good Ixworth isn't that common

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 08:02:19 am »

Ooh, that sounds interesting.  :thinking:  What do they look like?  Do you get quite a bit of variation in colour?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:18:52 am »
Ixworth was the breed that came to mind - albeit a good Ixworth isn't that common

Agree with Zac here. The Ixworth is often suggested as the archetypal dual purpose bird but finding good quality breeding stock is not easy (and we live only a few miles from Ixworth!)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 01:56:45 pm »
I don't really like the look of the Ixworths tbh lol
Would love t get hold of some white dorking - as rare as white ravens I'm afraid...

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 06:58:06 pm »

Ooh, that sounds interesting.  :thinking:  What do they look like?  Do you get quite a bit of variation in colour?

They were both pure white, as are their offspring, though at some point one of their ancestors must have visited a neighbouring flock as there’s the occasional beige headgear  :)   All equally placid and friendly, the boys all look exactly like daddy and the girls all have that dorking shape.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 09:14:10 pm »
how about australorps for a dual purpose breed. They have a decent carcasse and are good layers too????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS