Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paddock maintenance  (Read 2107 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Paddock maintenance
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:39:17 pm »
Hi

Trying to find out if paddock maintenance would be a good idea for us and if so, when and what!

We have a 3 acre paddock with 2/3 acre fenced off for 2 pigs, the rest has a few sheep in. We fatten them each year so come Nov/Dec the area is empty until the next summer. Over winter, the ground can become quite waterlogged. 

We've had this livestock cycle for 3 years now (prior to this, there were 5 sheep in the field full time with the previous owner) and were wondering if we should take a year off and get some paddock maintenance done - would that be beneficial? When is the best time?

Our grass seems good, we have no ragwort but quite a lot of buttercups and some thistley areas which are getting bigger. We do mow some of the grass but leave areas long before we get the sheep to allow flowers to develop. Come July, the sheep do all the work (less than 10 so it's not overgrazed!) but some areas are trodden down long grass.

If anyone has any advice we'd appreciate it - we are novices!!!

Thanks

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Paddock maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:44:36 am »
You could look into wild flower meadow and conservation grazing …. as you are almost doing this anyway
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:03:37 am »
Thanks. We have some wild flower meadow seeds to introduce already so fingers crossed they'll take!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 06:53:43 am »
If the thistle is creeping thistle I'd spray it as its a real pain when its established. You can use a backpack type sprayer and just spray the individual plants. Best done when they plants are actively growing in the spring. Apart from that I think I'd carry on as you have been :)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:14:17 pm »
Thanks - will have to google creeping thistle!!! Sounds very doable though.

Cheers!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:22:36 am »
If the thistle is creeping thistle I'd spray it as its a real pain when its established. You can use a backpack type sprayer and just spray the individual plants. Best done when they plants are actively growing in the spring. Apart from that I think I'd carry on as you have been :)

To be legal you need a sprayer certificate to use any chemical bought at an ag merchants.  You can use the much less potent sprays from garden centres.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS