Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BritSpin writeup  (Read 2054 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
BritSpin writeup
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:21:09 am »
The first ever BritSpin was a fantastic event, more than 500,000 metres of yarn being spun by 25 teams of 10 spinners.  But it absolutely was not just about the mileage.

My team, Team Tour of British Fleece, took 1st in Individual Breedathon and 2nd in Team Breedathon.  Our team member ‘Treeflea’ span at least 50g of each of an incredible 16 different breeds or types of sheep over the four days, and when we discovered what she’d done we managed to find another 4 qualifying skeins to take 2nd in Team Breedathon.  The team which won, The Rare Breeds, chalked up an amazing 42 different sheep between them.

Our team also won 2nd and 3rd in the ‘Spinners Relaxing’ Photo Competition, was narrowly pipped from joint third in ‘Spinning in Unusual Places’ Photo Competition (the worthy winner was spindling on a horse, in the rain - at a canter! :o), and was 9th overall in the mileage department, with a total of 19,250 metres of qualifying yarn (we had some disallowed on technicalities, but our unofficial total was well over the Half Marathon!). Not bad when we weren’t even trying for mileages!

One of our members won a ‘Two New Skills’ Award, and another was the first to complete the Bakewell Bingo Card.

Another of our members span some of her 5,083 metres on a Turkish spindle, n-plying on the fly, and took 1st place in the Marathon Spindle with her yardage on that.

The donations to this year’s charity, the Association of Air Ambulances, have reached almost £3,500 (including Gift Aid) as I write.  It’s not too late to donate if you would like, another £30 and we’ll have the £3,500... ;)

BritSpin charity donations

We had five spinning in my flat on the first day, and I can’t tell you how much fun we had.  I was hosting an American travelling Raveller for the duration, and it was while giving her the gift of her first dip in the ocean for 46 years that we took our own ‘Spinning in Unusual Places’ photo, with two of us spindling on the beach :)

Did we enjoy it?  We’re high as kites!!! :D.  Will we do it again?  Can’t wait!!!

And many thanks to our fibre sponsor, Adam Curtis Online, for some very interesting and eminently spinnable Shetland blend tops.  Adam Curtis Online

Pics are 1) Spinning in my flat on the first day; 2) Spindling in the beach-side cafe; 3) Spindling on the beach and 4) one spinner’s output - 2,633 metres, mostly spun in my flat on my Leicester (but not by me)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:20:22 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: BritSpin results
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:18 am »
How did other BritSpinners find it?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: BritSpin results
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:17 am »
I should add, that for BritSpin (and other similar competitions) it is normal to count the yardage of every single spun, plus of the plying, so that a 2-ply yarn counts three times the eventual skein length.

(“What did Horace say Winnie?”  :roflanim:)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: BritSpin writeup
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:34:52 pm »
There must have been a prize for the anti-gravity spinners surely....  :eyelashes:

The whole thing sounds brilliant Sally.  Unfortunately it's not my cup of tea, but when reading your report I do wish it was  :spin:

ps - I thought of you as soon as the advert for the Dorset X Bowmont wether came up  :hugsheep:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:36:31 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: BritSpin writeup
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 02:00:55 pm »
There must have been a prize for the anti-gravity spinners surely....  :eyelashes:

Lol, it’s the right way up if you click on it.  Otherwise, it’s such a neat trick I can’t believe we didn’t win that category!   :roflanim:

ps - I thought of you as soon as the advert for the Dorset X Bowmont wether came up  :hugsheep:

Lol.  I’m having a hard enough job not adopting an Exmoorino...  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS