Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tag suppliers  (Read 2425 times)

Smee

• Joined Oct 2014
Tag suppliers
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:16:32 am »
Who do people use for small numbers of tags these days please? The supplier I have been using for years has been taken over and the service doesn't seem to be the same plus my lot seem to loose a lot of their tags (especially the eid) which is a great pain..... :( Thanks for any recommendations.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Tag suppliers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:40:02 am »
Shearwell tags are extremely robust.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:19:23 pm »
Another vote for shearwell here  :thumbsup:

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:52:21 pm »
Just ordered mine from Shearwell.

Great service and reasonable prices. 

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:10:53 pm »
We get ours from Symtag and find them excellent, great retention and super customer service  :thumbsup:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 05:36:57 pm »
Both Caisley and Dalton tags are good.  Mine are either really good sheep or I am lucky but I have not lost any tags in the last 4 years using these,  Bought in sheep always seem to be losing tags and both companies do just the odd replacement tags as well.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 03:27:12 pm »
Another vote for Shearwell here.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 04:35:50 pm »
+1 for Shearwell - prompt, easy and no issues with tags for sheep or pigs.

I just wish they didn't all need different applicators :-)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 10:41:08 am »
Shearwell+++
1200/1500 tags a year & i don't think i've ever had an EID tag not read
I find retention good as  well but i think a lot of that is down to the person tagging rather than the tags themselves

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 10:49:43 am »

I find retention good as  well but i think a lot of that is down to the person tagging rather than the tags themselves

Actually, having moved to a farm which already had pliers for the Richie tags, so we have bought more Richie, I don’t agree with you.  I hardly ever lost a Shearwell and I am now really regretting tagging lambs early on, as several have lost tags already.  (I didn’t tag all the lambs, and we only had 18 lambs in total!) Same person tagging ;).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Smee

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 03:29:31 pm »
Righto, as the majority vote seems to be Shearwell, I'll have a go with them next time. Thanks for all the input. :)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 03:58:47 pm »
We get ours from Symtag and find them excellent, great retention and super customer service  :thumbsup:

I've brought from Symtag for years too but don't find the retention that good. They have just changed suppliers though and fingers crossed these will be better..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS