Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing Carrotts in loo roll tubes ???  (Read 4710 times)

HappyHippy

Growing Carrotts in loo roll tubes ???
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
Hi all,
I have an abundance of loo roll tubes on account of the fact that I don't have a blue recycling bin (the council won't provide or empty it!) I don't want to bin them and there's only so many times the kids want to make things with them.
Has anyone tried growing carrotts, leeks or spring onions in them before ?
I'm thinking along the lines of planting them out into soil when conditions are right still in the tubes as i reckon they'd decompose quite quickly and keep the veggies nice and straight (and possibly pests away from the root?)
Do you think this would work ?
Any advice would be much apprieciated
Karen  :pig:

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Growing Carrotts in loo roll tubes ???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »
This year I used the newspaper-roll method for a few veg and lettuce. It worked well,but next time I think I'll use less newspaper to make the tubes. I think your toilet rolls might be a little too thick to decompose quickly enough,but have just tried with one myself,and have 'unpeeled' enough to make it work,I think.
  If you have a glut of newspaper,and don't know how to make free plant pots from it,here's a link http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVW4t_6dTAvA

........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Kev

Re: Growing Carrotts in loo roll tubes ???
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »
course you can use loo rolls. I've just seeded up my cauli's using rolls cut in half. They'll do fine in the greenhouse over winter then get planted out next spring and the roots etc. will happily work their way through the cardboard - its also a lot cheaper than buying those peat or coir pots!

happy pooing and roll collecting!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS