Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural hedge growth along fence line?  (Read 5594 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Natural hedge growth along fence line?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 12:23:12 pm »

I don't have stock inside the paddock, and don't intend to soon, so hopefully minimal protection will be enough. I don't really mind if creatures outside the paddock trim the edge they can reach...

Our neighbour's cattle neatly skipped over our 'stockproof' fencing, wrapped their tongues around our newly planted saplings and ripped them out by the roots.  The fence needed two extra high wires along the top to stop them leaning or hopping over.  All OK now.  Sheep, which nibble rather than rip, do keep the hedges trimmed, on our side and theirs, up as far as they can reach - which is a surprisingly long way  :hugsheep: We ended up getting a tractor mounted hedgetrimmer for the tops.  We tried laying the hedges, but Mr F ended up with tennis (or hedgelayer's) elbow and he could only do 50m a winter - looked great though.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 12:32:04 pm »
No cattle next door, just sheep and horses. I don't think the fence would stop the horses if they really wanted to get over or through, but so far they've been content to stroll along the outside edge and look over!

How long are your hedges, Fleecewife? I do wonder how much hedge cutting would be needed to keep 150 odd metres of hedge manageable. It would have to be done by hand. And while I like the idea of hedge laying, I don't have a huge amount of time...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 02:03:57 pm »
I believe that we are advised to cut only 1/4 of any hedge each year, as the ecosystem has a 4-year cycle.  Although that’s probably out of date thinking, it was a few years ago I learned that,
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 07:04:18 pm »
No Sally you're right, although we work to 3 years.  However our hedges are now nice and bushy so we keep the tops down every year.  If you cut the hedges too intensely then you get no berries or fruit that summer, so we might go back to every 2nd year.  We have loads of birds nesting in our hedges, and others catching them for their dinner - just watched a sparrow hawk taking her final meal of the day, backlit by a beautiful sunset  :love:   We have various trees studded along the hedges, so although they are still young, birds which like to perch high to sing, or look for ground dwelling snacks, have somewhere to do so.

I'm not sure SS just how long our hedges add up to.  Ah, the man himself just walked in.  He thinks about half a mile, and there's another couple of hundred metres still to plant.  There is also about a 200m x 4m wide 'wildlife strip' which is fairly densely packed with trees and shrubs, and two coppices, one left very much to itself, and the other destined for regular coppicing and harvesting for firewood.  We love our trees  :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: .  There were two trees when we moved here 23 years ago; the first blew down in our first Autumn gales, although it has now regenerated, and the other has to be kept pollarded because of power lines.  We are proud of the work we've done, but you can see why we had to invest in a hedgecutter (not a flail) for our Siromer.  Every hedge has two sides and a top, so loads of work, but worth it.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 07:17:36 am »
Fleecewife deserves a shout out: so much effort, time, passion comes through in that post. Well done on planting and loving all your trees hedges and plants and enjoying them  and their wildlife :-)   I hope one day I can get there too- got hundreds of seedlings, now to get them transplanted to the boundaries!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 09:08:39 am »
Has everyone read The Man Who Planted Trees?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 09:10:20 am »
Thanks FW.

That does sound like a labour of love, but a very pleasant one. Most of the time anyway! If you can come with half a mile of hedges I can probably cope with another 200m..
I too have copses and a firewood coppice or two, but you can never have too many trees... :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 10:00:50 am »
If you can come with half a mile of hedges I can probably cope with another 200m..

She’s an inspiration, isn’t she :). Not just about hedges (says one who blames - Thanks - [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] and [member=26309]jaykay[/member] for taking up spinning :spin: , and then weaving... )

Dookie

• Joined Dec 2018
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 11:53:59 am »
I need a hedge, too and money is an issue... I've been making cuttings of anything that looks as though it might grow... rooting powder then stick it straigh into the ground... I've been successfull with buddleia and elderberries... also ash trees seem to grow & willows, obviously... it's a very mixed hedge... looking forward to seeing what does well... I also love blackthorn... the way it goes purple in the winter is just beautiful!

Dookie

• Joined Dec 2018
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 11:56:42 am »
Oh.. I forgot to say... blackberries and dog roses are very easy to make cuttings of and they grow so quickly... just stick short pieces in the ground, making sure they are the right way up, obviously... although blackberries seem to root from both ends...!!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 10:58:42 am »
I'd be careful with the blackberries, OK if you can keep tying them in every year, looks good and fruitful. But take your eye off for a couple of years and they've leapfrogged all over (lost about a third of my fruit patch, other things took over my life,  must have another session with strong fork and loppers  :( )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS